The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Simms wading staff

Just picked up one of these,new, and put it together. Found it rather loose, not bad but not tight either. Is this normal? I would like to know before I call their customer service dept.

Craig
Old 03-15-2013, 08:18 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: Simms wading staff

What did you find out on this ?

I need/want to pick up a wading staff before run off hits full force
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, with fold up staffs, this is far too common. Get/make a solid shaft wading staff and put lead at the tip (at least 1 pound) to keep that thing anchored on the bottom. One other thought is the staff length should come up to roughly the middle of your chest as you stand flat footed.

Anything shorter will give you a false sense of security if you really need to lean into the thing. (Think balance/center of gravity.)

fae
Old 03-16-2013, 11:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A pound of lead ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
What did you find out on this ?

I need/want to pick up a wading staff before run off hits full force
Check out this one
Colorado Angler Supply Wading Staff - Sportsman's Warehouse
Old 03-16-2013, 12:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
In reverse order RT: " Colorado Angler Supply Wading Staff - Light weight Wading Staff with pouch."

If your butts on the line, and you fish where I do/have the word 'light weight' is the same as signing up for a 'Death Wish.' If you ever get to fish the Fly Only bit of the North Umpqua or any place on the Deschutes, you'll soon know exactly what I mean.

And yes, a pound or close to it.

For an object lesson (nothing bad intended with what follows) but a 'pound' really isn't that much weight. Take a walk to your kitchen cupboard and look at the weight of the (I think this is right) a "303" standard can of soup/what-ever. Most will be 14 to 16 oz; you tell me what you think a 'pound' is in the way of weight as you hold same in hand? For illustrative purposes this will make my point.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:26 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Fred
I have a Folstaff... the skinny one.... half inch I think..
It only comes up to my waist.
It's light weight.
I use it for insurance, it's not a crutch.
Mine stays in the holster 98% of the time

If you're out where you need a chest high staff with a pound of lead on the end......then you're out too deep.
I was an aggressive wader when I was younger
Now I try and use my head.
Jackster likes this.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:46 PM

At some point you may change your mind save for you're fishing baby streams. Those are few and far between in the PNW. As for wading, I don't go much above my knees in 'real current.' There is "Little gain but there could be pain."

In the interim, I'd suggest a fairly large term life insurance policy.

To put a point to this; I've damned drowned three times (a few more interesting, but no real danger dumps) over 60 years of active fishing. The River only has to win once. There are no instant replays where you can go back and 'let me try that again's.'

Watch the fishing programs on occasion and see the "Host" standing up to his belt in some river and I just have to put my face in my hands and do a "Dear God!" Some young person is going to follow 'his lead' and get themselves killed.

That said, 'I wish you luck.'

fae
Old 03-16-2013, 02:11 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Fred
I have a Folstaff... the skinny one.... half inch I think..
It only comes up to my waist.
It's light weight.
I use it for insurance, it's not a crutch.
Mine stays in the holster 98% of the time

If you're out where you need a chest high staff with a pound of lead on the end......then you're out too deep.
I was an aggressive wader when I was younger
Now I try and use my head.
Scary.. but I'm agreeing with you - lol

If it's too heavy, people won't carry them at all

I have the Simms (of course) - I've never noticed any more wobbling in it then any others. Somewhere, maybe here, I read some good advice.. never use the wading staff to help you 'get' somewhere.. use it for getting back if you need it
Old 03-16-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
Scary.. but I'm agreeing with you - lol

If it's too heavy, people won't carry them at all

I have the Simms (of course) - I've never noticed any more wobbling in it then any others. Somewhere, maybe here, I read some good advice.. never use the wading staff to help you 'get' somewhere.. use it for getting back if you need it
Bingo!

No one needs a wading staff (well, at my age/balance issues I do) until you 'need it.' At that point you're one or two steps beyond where you'd like to be.

PEOPLE, PEOPLE, PEOPLE ... it is not my issue if you wade into 'interesting places,' your call. But I'm tired of reading 'They are/were looking for the body.'

Moving water doesn't care if you do something stupid; again, your call. Feel free to argue the 'I don't need one.'
billyspey and shimloom like this.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:22 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I tried the Simms staff out last saturday and it worked fine. From what I can gather from looking into it there is slight play in them. Mine has "slight play" but it worked great. Putting it together and tearing it down doesn't take long and is well worth the effort. Now if I can find my damn studs for my boots I will be real happy!

Craig