The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:14 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Fishing Hat

I wear a ball cap..but wait!! I always have a buff under it! Buff covers bak of my head,neck,ears,and my whole front lower face from nose down. Sunglasses and bill of hat cover the rest! For one not that it matters but buffs look cool and can be out of the way very quick and easy. Protects you from the sun and from hooking your neck! And u can still wear your favorite ball cap!

Also send me a ball cap I will gladly wear it and rep your store! Haha I'm always looking for a cool fly fishing hat
baseman1 likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:27 PM

biggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nicebiggie_robs is just really nice
Default Fishing Hat

I have two trucker hats I wear in the heat on a shaded stream, or with a buff in the sun. But I also have two Tilley hats, one hemp one wool, that I love. The wool is for cold days above freezing, the hemp for warm/hot days. Below freezing, it's a Carhartt MIUSA toboggan/beanie/watch cap, purple for the steeze factor!

Cheers,
--Rob
Old 03-08-2013, 05:46 PM

rubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the roughrubberguy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fishing Hat

jsquires
Pro Member
jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Default Fishing Hat

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When clients sign up for one of my trips, I give them one of my hats. It's a baseball cap with a really cool logo (advertising) on it.

you could always send it to me?!
Old 03-08-2013, 06:00 PM

I'll be glad to send you guys hats; all you have to do is sign up for one of my trips.
So let's analyze this. You sign up and get to go fishing for five species of fish on a beautiful river in Alaska, you get a free hat, and I get a client. Everybody is happy - win/win.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite outdoors hat when I'm fishing, mowing the lawn, trimming shrubs, or anything outside in the blazing Sun is the Lochsa River Hat from Orvis, getting ready to order my 3rd one.
Straw Fishing Hat / Lochsa River Straw Hat -- Orvis

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
My favorite outdoors hat when I'm fishing, mowing the lawn, trimming shrubs, or anything outside in the blazing Sun is the Lochsa River Hat from Orvis, getting ready to order my 3rd one.
Straw Fishing Hat / Lochsa River Straw Hat -- Orvis
John, did you run over the other two with the mower? Just saying that because it's something I would do - like cutting the extension cord with the electric hedge trimmers - three times.
I remember looking at that hat in the past. And I do love the Lochsa River.
fysh likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
John, did you run over the other two with the mower? Just saying that because it's something I would do - like cutting the extension cord with the electric hedge trimmers - three times.
I remember looking at that hat in the past. And I do love the Lochsa River.

LOL!

No, flat wore one out over several years(probably still work just for work at home), the second one I had "walked away" never to be seen again, no idea where it went, just disappeared out of my garage. I was getting ready to order my third one but just saw that Orvis is out of stock with no plans to bring them back in. Now I'm looking for a new hat too.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 PM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

For many years Akubra was my hat of choice and they would be again, if we had a full service dealer around here.

Click the image to open in full size.

See: Akubra - Iconic Australian Hats - Authentic Quality

Good luck with your search for the perfect hat.

TT
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

That Akubra is a great looking hat. Might have to order one.

Anyway, back to the question. I'm with you about how I look in hats, which is to say, not photogenic. However, I'm a bit of a hat junkie, as I'm always hoping to find the ONE that will look good on my melon. However, living here in AZ, you have to consider sun protection before looks when considering a fishing hat, and I have my favorites.

Stetson Expedition (looks a bit like the Akubra)
Three or four boonie hats when it gets warm
Tilleys Airflo

These all are wide brimmed, which keeps most of the sun off my face and my neck. None of them look good on my head. Although, if I wear a buf pulled up over my nose, I look kinda gangster-ish or Special Ops, which I hear the young girls dig.

Good luck.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 03-08-2013, 11:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i will add that although i wear primarily ball caps, i apply the heavy stuff to any exposed part....tops of ears in particular
no reason not to

casey

ARFE