The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all
Default Re: Fishing Hat

My golf/fishing hat

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:52 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

TT, I'm getting it narrowed down. So far I like a couple of hats on the Akubra site and a couple of Filson hats. Regardless, Buff will be along for the ride.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:21 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

This is a good subject because no one thinks it will happen to them but skin cancer can happen. My Uncle over the last several years had a couple places removed off his face. Within the last couple years it came back and he has had to have major surgery with lymph nodes removed as well. I wear a ball cap only with sunscreen but this thread will have me looking for a better hat.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:11 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

JCW, my last surgery was what is called Mohs surgery, and it was on the nose and not fun. They had to take a donor graft from my forehead to fill in the hole. Had the same type surgery on my ear - from wearing no hat or just a baseball hat. Going without sunscreen and a hat is not worth it, trust me.
imxer and kayo like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:15 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

As a teenager, I always fished with a Western stetson style hat...even in New England. Today, my usual fishing hat is a Tilley, but my Oilskin Madison Packable from Original Outback is the best for all weather protection. During certain times of the year, and in certain areas that I go fishing, I pull out my brilliant hunter's red ball cap. It may shock a few fish, but at least I'm not so mistaken for a deer.
baseman1 likes this.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

I've been partial to this hat in cooler weather - Minnetonka - Outback -
heavy duty and durable - adjustable wire brim - and you can stuff it into a backpack -
and an excuse to post this pic yet again (blatant self-promotion)

hairwing530 and baseman1 like this.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

I always were the same hat.
It's a Cowboy hat I bought in Argentina a long time ago, love it.
hairwing530 likes this.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:02 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

my wife and my father in law both wear tilley hats while fishing.
they are really freakin nice, plus they look cool
i might have to drop the coin and get one......
i'd go this model

casey

ARFE
Old 03-11-2013, 07:14 PM

chefdg is on a distinguished road

Sun Runner Cap | Outdoor Research | Designed By Adventure

I love this hat by OR. it is light weight and the piece that protects your neck and ears snaps off when you don't need it. I keep the shade with my fishing gear and wear the hat every other day. In fact since I've started losing hair I wear it every single day.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
LOL!

No, flat wore one out over several years(probably still work just for work at home), the second one I had "walked away" never to be seen again, no idea where it went, just disappeared out of my garage. I was getting ready to order my third one but just saw that Orvis is out of stock with no plans to bring them back in. Now I'm looking for a new hat too.

jsquires,
I found a link for the company that makes the closest thing to the Orvis Lochsa River Hat.
Riverz

The 'Scout' is almost identical, even made from the same techstraw material. I think I'll order one of the 'American' hats myself.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."