The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 AM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about
Default Fishing Hat

When clients sign up for one of my trips, I give them one of my hats. It's a baseball cap with a really cool logo (advertising) on it. So I sign this guy up at the Fly Show recently and he declines the hat. I thought he didn't like it. But how could that be possible? It's such a cool hat. Turns out he never wears a hat that doesn't cover his ears, which is, of course, exactly what I should be doing.
I've fought skin cancer off and on for a long time - paying for the sins of youth - and I need to fight harder, according to my dermatologist. So I'm on a quest to find a good fishing hat.
Now, with the cast of characters on this forum, I already have a short-length movie of visual images running through my mind of the hats you guys wear, the full spectrum, I'm guessing.
So bearing in mind that I'm one of those unfortunate people who doesn't look good in any hat, so (and I know this will be hard) nothing real ugly as far as suggestions, please.
So what's your best/favorite fishing hat and where can I get one? Pictures would be nice (I think).
Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Fishing Hat

my "clean" one

Click the image to open in full size.

casey

ARFE
Old 03-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That reminds me of a guided trip the wife and I did a few years ago with South Fork Outfitters. The guide we fished with had blonde hair and very light colored skin and you could see dark patches on his face, looked like pre-stage skin cancer, but he was only wearing a baseball styly cap.
How about something like this:
Boating Hat: Sun Protective Clothing - Coolibar

The rage these days is to wear a baseball cap and a buff.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Mostly I wear a wide brim top hat ( cowboy hats, etc),,and used sun block.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I always wear an up-downer (ala Lefty) .
A couple of mine are no name cotton but the Goretex ones came from Columbia
I'm sure TFO must sell a logo model,

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I wear a soft linen gardening hat that I bought dirt cheap from Costco 360° long brim plus the back flap covering 180° UPF50, the same with Columbia, but only 45° flap. And a safety yellow hard helmet when I am streamer fishing.
siege likes this.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

I wear truckers like the first photo shared and if I am in the salt or on a pond in the open and exposed to the sun I wear my buff over my face and pull the back of it up over my ears and the back of my hat. I actually just got one the same exact colors as that one shown in the mail today except it has the Costa Del Mar logo on it.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

This may be convenient
Wholesale fishing hats/cap 2012 New Folding hat Visor Fishing Camping Cap Front Back Hooded MZ11, Free shipping, $9.82-13.45/Piece | DHgate
as for me I've got around 10 hats(many offered by friends including Ard and Larry)...so I can often change
Old 03-08-2013, 12:13 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
This may be convenient
Wholesale fishing hats/cap 2012 New Folding hat Visor Fishing Camping Cap Front Back Hooded MZ11, Free shipping, $9.82-13.45/Piece | DHgate
as for me I've got around 10 hats(many offered by friends including Ard and Larry)...so I can often change
I think that one would be good for scaring the bears away.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

So far, so good with my European high Militonan (sp?) skin colouring. I can walk through a well lite room and get a sun tan. Then zip beyond. Even my Doc says 'You are unusual.' No sun screen as I don't want to get it on my fly line/flies/bla-bla-bla.

But as for hats, look at the 'Tillies.' Ex 2.0 was/is a 'Redhead' and it took zip for her to get a hell of a burn. Slather on sun block and the Tilly and she had 'joy.'

fae
hairwing530 likes this.