kayak, float tube or pontoon

tpo

Reaction score
I don't have a pontoon, only float tube and inflatable kayak. I'll vote for the float tube as my favorite, but its a series of tradeoffs. Float tube is easier to transport (can put in my car partially inflated, the kayak must be un-inflated to fit) and much more maneuverable, so its easier to fish from. You can easily hold your position when fishing in the float tube, with any wind you need an anchor for the kayak. What you can't do in a float tube cover a lot of water, which is where the kayak is nice. I can see a kayak would be great for fishing rivers too, I've never used it that way. I will usually reach for my float first when heading out to fish.

Tom

dillon

Reaction score
I like v shaped float tubes for stillwater fishing. I have a small one that I propel with fins and a larger one that has oars as well. I can get my feet out of cold water when I use the oars and use fins to maneuver it while casting. I like a pontoon boat for floating rivers. Mine is 10 ft and white water rated. I don't have a kayak. However, I fishing buddy uses his for short river floats or just to get to a run on the other side. He likes it for its portability. If I had to choose one it would be the float tube with oars as it is white water rated as well so it could be used in moving water. I is also more compact and easier to transport than a pontoon boat. It really depends on what a craft is going to be used for. They all have their advantages. However, its hard to find something that covers every need well. My favorite boat is really my Clackacraft db but I use it the least of all. It's the most fun to fish in with friends but requires the most work.

Jackster

Reaction score
With the 'toon or tube you never really have to swap your rod for a paddle just to hold or gain position against current or wind (within reason of course) The fins do that. Both are very hard to capsize which isn't so true with a kayak
In a 'toon if you have a tether between the bows you can just stand up to fish a run then sit right down again without doing a balancing act plus, you can haul a lot of stuff without much worry of strapping everything down.
A small outboard allows them to move right along too.
I like my tubes but love my 'toon!

streamwalker

Reaction score
I never really have a problem swapping my rod for the paddle but I've got use to fishing out of my kayak..also my kayak I can cover lots of water and go into huge bodies of water. With my kayak I can also stand and cast which is a big plus in my book! I love kayak fishing. Also a anchor trolley system makes staying in one spot super easy

schiff

Reaction score
I never really have a problem swapping my rod for the paddle but I've got use to fishing out of my kayak..also my kayak I can cover lots of water and go into huge bodies of water. With my kayak I can also stand and cast which is a big plus in my book! I love kayak fishing. Also a anchor trolley system makes staying in one spot super easy
I agree. I don't have a problem with the paddle either. It sits across my lap when not in use. It doesn't get in the way there and is always ready. I like the sit-on-top yak to cover distances when jumping from spot to spot on the lakes I fish.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I got one of these. Mine is not as decked out as this guys,,,,,,yet..but working on it. Weights 145 lbs empty,,and a kid can pull it upon the trailer. Good in the river,,you can zoom with a 40thrust troller. I usually use one seat when by myself,,,and I'm mounting fly rod holders on the runners. I've used kayak's, canoes,,,and this is the best of the lot. Standing fishing has never been more stable. Super river craft,,,,take'em any-wheres practically.

I've never used a pump up craft so I can't comment on them. Some look really efficient though.

But, I sold my 16ft wide jon boat, just no need for it anymore. I'm older, and I'm just not going thur the tinkering around with getting a big boat in, out and all the hassle of them. And a plus, is you don't need gas on streams and lakes.

These are just SUPER for fly fishing,,,swivel seats and you set up enough to see structure and water seams and currents.

I'll have to show you mine when I get it set with fly rod holders,,so far I've made without them,,but it's gonna be a nice addition. I'm gonna design them on a track were I can slide them back and forth,,,cause i preposition when I have a fishing buddy,,,which aint really that often.

Mine is 10ft Bass Raider,,LOTS of room when you solo,,but you might want the lighter 8ft. The 8ft,,has wheels in the body that you can roll it on the ground from your truck to the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GYYMS0aRYo&playnext=1&list=PLE792FE3B7ADD80D8&feature=results_main

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
I've paddled one, never fished from it, but the Nu Canoe Frontier 12 is an awesome canoe/kayak hybrid. swivel seats that sit you slightly higher were you can see important things. Might be the best of both worlds. I don't think you can tip these Nu Canoes if you wanted to and lots more utilty room than a kayak.

Jacksons are pretty awesome too for a kayak.

It's just,,I have a sot kayak and find it disappointing as a fly fishing platform.

For a second craft, if I can recoup some of my kayak money I'm gonna purchase one of the Frontier 12 Nu Canoes,,with the swivel seat and fly fishing lean support for standing and casting. They have one model designed precisely FOR fly fishing.

meathelmet

Reaction score
Hi,

I have owned the NuCanoe classic and the recent Frontier. Both are super stable and extremely hard to tip. Standing is a breeze and there are not many parts or pieces sticking out to get your fly line caught. It is a complete open deck with a small storage space up front. It also has a flat transom to hook a trolling or small motor so you can go upstream and then float back to your ride.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MIMeFiB-Jc&feature=share&list=PLD7016C0743F6375F]Kayak Fly Fishing in the NuCanoe Frontier 12 - YouTube[/ame]

runningfish

Reaction score
I agree. I don't have a problem with the paddle either. It sits across my lap when not in use. It doesn't get in the way there and is always ready. I like the sit-on-top yak to cover distances when jumping from spot to spot on the lakes I fish.
I also agree, I never have a problem with the paddle either, cover a great distance, stand up paddling for sight fishing, casting and fighting the fish while standing up, even maneuvering the kayak into the open water while fighting a fish by paddling with the left wrist.

Shallow water? No problem, with only 2 or 3 quick stroke you will glide into your spot without disturbing the water below you.

Cargo wise, my Ocean Kayak Trident 13 sit on top can carry everything I need. I could bring my kayak cart along with a rolling gear bag, anchor, GPS fish finder, net, etc. I could bring number of rods in their tubes and place them in the hull.

Going camping? No problem, put your dry bag, sleeping bag, food, tent etc into the front compartment and paddle away.

On a lazy fishing day, I could put 5 Scotty rod holders, rig the spinning setup with nightcrawler or powerbait, anchor down, cast them out and take a nap.

mojo kayak

Reaction score
Kayak. I fish warmwater rivers and lakes out of mine. I lay the paddle across my lap while fishing. I have floated downstream 8 miles and can paddle upstream for miles in moderate current. If your budget allows carbon fiber paddle shafts are awesome.

markg52

Reaction score
To get it off the garage floor.

I just bought this from a fishing buddy. Looking forward to getting it out on the water.

Last edited:

ib me

Reaction score
:) At one time or the other I have had them all & all have there place.Yaks are great but limit the amout of gear.Pontoons are built for down stream they can be a pain to go up river.Float tubes are good for still water & warm weather,I Now have a solo canoe that does it all & a float tube that hasn't been wet in a long time
:D Dennis