The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Tapered Leaders - which brand has least memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Hi,
I was curious to know what brand tapered Nylon leader people have found to have the least memory (coiling). My most recent batch of Rio leaders are terrible in this respect.

I know about the proper way of stretching etc. to straighten the coils..but is there a brand (Rio or Orvis or ???) that offers the lowest memory?

I am learning to tie my own leaders based on several online formulae using Maxima & have also tried the furled leaders.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishi...3Bcat104123880

I tried this one last year and found it to straighten much easier than Rio or Orvis. Two or three slides through the fingers and ready to go.

Rich

Last edited by fishiowa; 03-14-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: link issues
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard some people boil their maxima leaders to make them more supple.It's not a joke...try with one and let me know what the result is
Old 03-14-2013, 12:03 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
I've heard some people boil their maxima leaders to make them more supple.
It certainly will but it will also weaken it quite a bit. Too much heat is no good.
fysh likes this.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Just searched....they boil diameters from 45 to 20... for instance4 minutes for a 40,3 minutes for a 30 etc...never tippets
Old 03-14-2013, 01:36 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
Cabela's: Maxima 7.5' Tapered Knotless Leader

I tried this one last year and found it to straighten much easier than Rio or Orvis. Two or three slides through the fingers and ready to go.

Rich

Hi Rich, Its good to hear from you. I am planning another trip up your way with my wife this late May. Will get in touch with you if we pass through your town & maybe we can hit one of the local streams.
-Shrish
Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticm View Post
Hi Rich, Its good to hear from you. I am planning another trip up your way with my wife this late May. Will get in touch with you if we pass through your town & maybe we can hit one of the local streams.
-Shrish
Shrish,
The snow MIGHT all be gone by May. It has been a long, tough winter for fishing. Please get in touch when you know when you will be in the area. I would enjoy the opportunity to fish with you again.
Rich
Old 03-14-2013, 11:07 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i, as have others on this thread, virtually eliminated leader memory awhile back when i bought a couple of joni's furled leaders.
such a great leader with absolutely no memory or dead/hinge spots to speak of.
now all my reels/lines that i own, have them.
no more tangles or knots, plus they last a good while.
btw, i prefer the ones with a tippet ring on the end.

casey
fly_guy12955 likes this.

ARFE
Old 03-23-2013, 03:42 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

I have started using Rio product more and like most have stated you just have to pull them straight. I don't advise using anything that will create heat. I just grab it and pull slowly and firmly. Works every time.

Craig
Old 03-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Joni & WT are absolutely correct! Too much heat is not a good thing so I never use a rubber or leather leader straightener.
If I have a leader that coils I gently pull it through my fingers to create a little heat and try to gently stretch it, main concern being the tippet end of course.

As far as leaders and tippet material having the least amount of memory?.....I haven't tried this brand yet, but knowing full well the demands that technical springs creeks ask of you and your terminal tackle, and the fact that Rene Harrop will not use something that is not supple and wouldn't allow for a delicate and lifelike presentation, nor allow his trademark name to be put on it....I would think this would have very little memory. I need to restock my tippet material so I'll probably give it a try myself soon.
http://www.trouthunt.com/estore/category/2944

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Get furled leaders from Joni. You'll prob never use anything else.