The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Tapered Leaders - which brand has least memory?

Hi,
I was curious to know what brand tapered Nylon leader people have found to have the least memory (coiling). My most recent batch of Rio leaders are terrible in this respect.

I know about the proper way of stretching etc. to straighten the coils..but is there a brand (Rio or Orvis or ???) that offers the lowest memory?

I am learning to tie my own leaders based on several online formulae using Maxima & have also tried the furled leaders.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tapered Leaders - which brand has least memory?

They all do, even homemade ones. Only thing to do is stretch the nuts out of them.
shimloom likes this.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:10 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I am using the SA 9ft mono leader as backup for my home made furled leaders.
Actually I just used it last weekend when the wind started to pick up (honestly, after I got a painful kiss on the left cheek from #10 ghost streamer) and I needed to roll cast more than ever. It turn that streamer & sneaky pete way better than my mono furled leaders could in the same windy condition.
I don't own a proper leader straightener, so I dipped the entire line in the water and straighten it in the water first time and then the second time again above the water.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 PM

djamtime will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
Actually I just used it last weekend when the wind started to pick up (honestly, after I got a painful kiss on the left cheek from #10 ghost streamer) and I needed to roll cast more than ever. It turn that streamer & sneaky pete way better than my mono furled leaders could in the same windy condition.
I don't own a proper leader straightener, so I dipped the entire line in the water and straighten it in the water first time and then the second time again above the water.
If it helps, I have found that the trick to straightening mono-leaders is heat. That is all the proper leader straightener does is create friction. I am a tradesman so the skin of my hands is hard, and I opt to just use my fingers. I find this works better for me, but use caution the line will cut you! Anyhow I have found it a pain to try to straighten a wet leader due to the lack of friction.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I would have done the same thing if I had the leather leader straightener.
I don't have hard skin in my fingers, so I had to wet the leader first to prevent from burning my fingers.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
They all do, even homemade ones. Only thing to do is stretch the nuts out of them.
I guess I am out of luck then....will resort to doing this after I stretch my fly line prior to each session.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:04 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
What he said: Love Joni's furled leaders even on my 2handers. Just a short run of FC off the ring and good to go. Zero memory right out of the packet. For full on mono leaders I've found RIO's to be as good as it gets.
Old 03-13-2013, 03:32 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

On stubborn leaders that don't straighten well with just my hands, I have used my leather tri-fold wallet. Since it rarely holds much money these days, might as well multi-task!
dakotakid likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I would have done the same thing if I had the leather leader straightener.
I don't have hard skin in my fingers, so I had to wet the leader first to prevent from burning my fingers.
I would think, if it burns your fingers, you are burning the mono. Never trusted those leather straighteners for that reason. WHEN I used mono leaders, I use the receiver ball on my SUV and a rag. Looped the line around it and backed up putting tension.
But as Fred mentioned.....Furled leaders are my only choice for the past 6 or 7 years. Thanks Fred and all you guys that like what I can do.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Tapered Leaders - which brand has least memory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty 54 View Post
On stubborn leaders that don't straighten well with just my hands, I have used my leather tri-fold wallet. Since it rarely holds much money these days, might as well multi-task!
This comment is top notch lol! And sadly true for most of us who use this forum daily lol!
thewalker1013 likes this.