The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Sometimes I believe things are better done the old fashioned way...

The "Automatic Fishing Hook Line Tier Machine"... found it stumbling around fleabay...

Click the image to open in full size.

fredaevans likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sometimes I believe things are better done the old fashioned way...

Every year since I've been paying attention there's been gadgets.
98% don't last.... even the ones from Orvis
....... see the Abel nipper thread.....
gt05254 likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:43 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I think it would take me as much time to learn how to use this gizmo as it would to learn a new knot...

Reminds me of a lot of people who work for me...they spend more time trying to figure out how to cut corners and fixing their mistakes then they do just doing it the right way from the start
Old 03-13-2013, 05:59 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
....... see the Abel nipper thread.....
It is quite the epic thread.... every forum needs one
gt05254 likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 PM

streamwalker has a spectacular aura aboutstreamwalker has a spectacular aura about
Default Sometimes I believe things are better done the old fashioned way...

How many pages we made from talking about nippers blew my mind!! But I love to see fishing gizmos how stupid..reminds me of someone I would see on the river decked out in fishing gear that's brand hammer new and they make 40 back casts before finally throwing the fly. LOL. Anyways I think everyone should learn how to tie nots..they r simple quick and strong and u don't need anything but fingers and a little spit to do it.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 PM

jsquires has a spectacular aura aboutjsquires has a spectacular aura about

Agreed about sometimes things are better done the old-fashioned way. But I'd hate to be having this conversation through the U.S. Mail.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 PM

42,219 members... That would be a lot of stamps....

Imagine if the world didn't have internet but had the idea of public anonymous forum that spanned the world via mail... so much junk mail!
Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquires View Post
Agreed about sometimes things are better done the old-fashioned way. But I'd hate to be having this conversation through the U.S. Mail.
Indoor plumbing, central air, and antibiotics come to mind as well
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

There is the old expression about "building a better mouse trap" but so far I've seen few that were actually better.

Gadgets are fine, but like Brookfieldangler has said, people waste way too much time, trying to save time. IMO, the K.I.S.S. method is most often the best approach to much of what we do. Knots are easy. Sometimes I need a little help with tying them, arthritis in my joints hinders the process, but don't need a machine to do it.

Technology is fine too. It's allowed us to have awesome forums like this where we can share thoughts, ideas & information, and of course gadgets we find!

Any of you guys ever see one of those automatic hook setting gadgets, or spring loaded automatic hooks? They're not something fly fishers would use, more for bait anglers. Seems to me it takes all the fun out of fishing!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-14-2013, 10:01 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookfieldangler View Post
Reminds me of a lot of people who work for me...they spend more time trying to figure out how to cut corners and fixing their mistakes then they do just doing it the right way from the start
So are you hiring?
imxer and woodrivertroutbum like this.