The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 PM

fishyhands is on a distinguished road
Default What's in your vest?

Newbie inquiring about what folks use in their vests, and what they can not do without. I'm guessing license, leader wallet, small container of slipshot, floatant, small fly case or two... What else?

Also, I see many other anglers with the small scissors or forceps on the front of the vest. What do folks prefer? I'm wondering if there is something better than my nail clippers. I do use small pliers in case I tangle with a pickerel, but was thinking if there was a combo tool I could use on a retractor that won't get in the way on the front of the vest...

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:45 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's in your vest?

In addition to extra leaders & tippet material, and of course fly boxes, I carry a small hand towel, a mini flashlight, a multi-tool or multi-function Swiss Army Knife and never carry split shot, as I don't use it. I found a forceps/scissor combination online a few years back, believe they may have been from Cortland.

However, the majority of the fishing I do is warmwater & saltwater, so I carry a pair of heavier long nose pliers on my belt too, primarily for bigger size hooks that the forceps don't do well with.

I don't usually use the retractors, as I've broken or lost too many of them, or they hang up too easily in some places I've gone. Not as convenient, but I prefer to have everything in a pocket.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 03-20-2013, 08:07 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

extra reel, floatant, 2 fly boxes, small box with strike indicators and splitshot, couple extra leaders, 3 sizes of tippet, nipper/nail clippers, forceps, small led flashlight, small compass, waterproof matches and a lighter, some dryer lint in a ziplok baggie or a homemade parrafin wax and sawdust fire starter, emergency space blanket,folding limbsaw for small branches, few granola/energy bars, small bottle of water, usually have a multi-tool in my pocket or on my belt, cell phone, pen and pocket notebook.
depending on the outing, some of the things may go in a small daypack or stay in the truck. when i wore a vest i always took more than was needed, and now i try to simplify things and just wear a waist pack with the necessities since i rarely go on the long hike anymore. I can fish all day with 1 flybox, nippers, and forceps, and tippet and a light lunch.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:48 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I opt for a jacket with lots of pockets, small backpack or sling pack. Along with the two pockets in my waders here is what I carry:

• nipper on zinger
• hemostat sometimes on zinger
• spare hemostat (see above)
• small folding knife
• extra rod in rod bag, no tube (sometimes tenkara)
• extra reel
• cell phone in waterproof case
• just the car key (manual not electronic one)
• waterproof camera and mini tripod
• depending on season (gloves/stocking cap)
• all round fly box (mix of nymphs/wets, dries, streamers)
• depending on season an extra box full of (streamers, nymphs/wets, dries, terrestrials)—sometimes I have up to 4 boxes.
• 2 clif bars
•*depending on length of trip; a samich
• collapsible poly bag of water
• depending on season - bug spray/small sunscreen, snakebite kit
• pack of gum
•*chapstick

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 03-21-2013, 12:13 AM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I like simplicity so all I carry is:

Tippet
nail clippers
fly boxes (one has dries, other has subsurface)
forceps
rubberband
beef jerky or almonds
proper paperwork
and if I have my SIMMS pack on instead of vest I can carry my water bottle

and of course I have a net.

Last edited by stuie675; 03-21-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:22 AM

Eddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to beholdEddie O'Neill is a splendid one to behold

A few bits
Tippett
Nippers
Forceps
Knife
Floatant
Licence
Camera
Fly Patch
Small fly box
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have one of those scissor/hemostat combo tools. I found that I often "cut" when I wanted to "squeeze"... That's a reason why I also carry cheater magnifying glasses.

In the upper chest pockets of my vest, one is for "dry" the other "wet".
The "dry" pocket has a lighter, paste floatant, desiccant powder, and line conditioner
The "wet" pocket has splitshot and a couple of kinds of indicators
The other front pockets have a tippet wallet, leader wallet, streamer wallet, fly boxes and a bandana.
The vest back pocket may or may not have a spare spool, rain jacket, and water bottle
My hemostats are clipped to a pocket flap and my nippers are on a cord pinned to the inside of a pocket.
I don't use zingers. IMO they're more trouble then they're worth.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

More junk then any one or two people would ever need on a day in the water.
shotgunfly likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

The list would be too longI'm surprised of what I found in my vest after some periodical archaeological excavation
Old 03-21-2013, 11:55 AM

yonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the roughyonder is a jewel in the rough

I use a waistpack, and a shirt with big pockets for those bluelines that require a good hike. They contain....

nipper and hemostat on zingers
dry fly floatant
rain jacket
waterbottles
water purification tabs
paracord
reflective blanket
baby wipes!!!
hand sanitizer
small knife
lighter
cotton balls
first aid stuff (aleve, moleskin, etc.)
LED light with extra battery
2 fly boxes
one reel
leaders, tippet
smart phone, external battery
hiking staff
food
waders secured to outside of waistpack if too cold to wet wade.
rod goes into tube that is secured to waistpack
rubber sole simms boots with studs on feet, with simms neoprene booties
and license!!!

Here I walk slowly, deliberately, taking it one step, one trout, one sunset at a time. -Harry Middleton