The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 06:35 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water Master Kodiak Raft...Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
very happy with my watermaster kodiak.
I've got local friends with NFO products and a couple horror stories to go with them.
I would buy my kodiak again 10 out of 10 times.
PM me if you've got any questions regarding the rafts.
Carl: That is interesting, I've never heard anything but good reports from NFO customer service. I'd like to hear what you have heard about horror stories.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Owned Scadden for almost 20 years. Never had problem with any of them. NEVER. I have owned several models and I use them a lot.
Dave was head designer for Outcast so you like that Commander, look at the Escalade from 2000.
Rockers and inflated floor/seat pretty much speaks for its self.

Why is it these problems always happen to a friend
Old 03-27-2013, 06:50 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
I've seen how religiously people defend their boats on these forums..
If your actually interested in stories of new leaky valves, incredibly slow unresponsive customer service, several attempts to get the right products in the right hands and so on I'll gladly give you a ring and we can chit chat about it.
I'd love to hear them. Both of our Assaults have the new style valves. As does the Renegade. I did have one problem of the seat valve leaking last year on my XX, but cleaning the inside with a cotton swab cleared the problem up. Sand or something getting in the valve. Swab, and no leak. And as for customer service, the interesting thing is, I've never had a problem calling or emailing them and getting ahold of someone.
I'm game for a chat. I can PM you my # and you can tell me about your friends problems.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Sure thing! I'll send you a PM. I didn't want to post them for any google search to see because they're not my results of my own purchases, but I was privy to most of it because I was waiting to potentially buy my own. Just figured I'd give the option to hear some other real world experiences. I also didn't want to insult/offend anyone over their choice of watercraft.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

Carl, I would be interested to hear what you have to say as well. Can you shoot me a brief PM ? Thanks, CW
Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamagibs View Post
Hi Schiff
Do you have the Assault XX or The previous Assault? I am trying to decide between the two.
Thanks

New to the forum from Maine.
I have the Assault...not the XX.
I think I may have gotten the XX if I knew how much I would have liked it. I plan on taking my new dog on some trips and doing some overnight river trips, so the XX would give me some extra room for stuff. But, I plan to add a few D rings up front to add a platform to store camping stuff...not sure what I will make the platform out of yet. Maybe just a netting or heavy plastic.

When I was doing my searching and reading reviews of various boats of this type, I saw posts about the customer service at NFO. This almost had me worried until I noticed the same people posting over and over about the same thing...always a friend. Not saying the issue in this thread doesn't have merit, but when added up, all the posts I read were about only a couple people's experiences and not a trend or reoccurring issue with quality or customer service. I got the impression that someone had an axe to grind.
I have been in customer service all my life and know you can't please everyone and when someone tells their story, it is always how they see it and not always what really happened. I can't imagine they would still be in business if their service was less than not notch. This is too small of a niche product with reviews all over the web. I equate it to lets say St Croix had a reputation for rods breaking...they would be gone. And if some broke and they refused to to help...they would be gone. There wouldn't be a big debate about it with rumors.

Someone asked about durability...I float the Delaware, Susquehanna and Lehigh rivers. Last year they were all low and did a lot of rock and gravel bouncing, scraping and dragging. I have seen no issues at all. I was surprised at the quality of the material when I saw one first hand. I was not expecting to see how heavy duty it really was.

Lastly the seat is inflatable and not a wood plank. You can adjust it to fit your comfort as opposed to adding cushions to the wood.

These are the things that I considered when I bought mine. I can't see why you would not enjoy the WM if you got one, but when I bought my kayak and my canoe, I picked what I considered the best design for me. Same with the Kick-Boat. You may have different criteria that you want in a boat.
I say if this type of boat fits your needs, get either one of them and get out on the water, as fishing from one is just fun.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiff View Post
I have the Assault...not the XX.
I think I may have gotten the XX if I knew how much I would have liked it. I plan on taking my new dog on some trips and doing some overnight river trips, so the XX would give me some extra room for stuff. But, I plan to add a few D rings up front to add a platform to store camping stuff...not sure what I will make the platform out of yet. Maybe just a netting or heavy plastic.
Schiff: Keep us posted on how you end up configuring your Assault. I have a Renegade and have a little more room, but have been thinking along the same lines of adding some D-rings and some sort of platform, but haven't done anything yet and would like to see what you do to yours. I also have a new dog and would like to start taking her on fishing trips and maybe an overnighter.

Larry

Old 03-28-2013, 12:04 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I would like to see the platform. I did add more rings to mine. I did this with the idea of mounting a Battery in the front. I have not tried this yet as I am now using smaller batteries, but I know it works.
They are on the front sides. Right now supports may apron perfect.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:39 PM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

I will add a front platform for storing camp gear...I don't know if I can figure out something to keep the dog happy yet. I will be pulling the boat off the shelf in a few weeks and start to mess with the idea. I'll let you know if anything works out. I should have gotten the XX, but didn't have a dog to take with then.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:41 PM

What kind of dog?