The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Water Master Kodiak Raft...Thoughts? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/314792-water-master-kodiak-raft-thoughts.html)

cw76 03-26-2013 03:32 PM

Water Master Kodiak Raft...Thoughts?

I am seriously considering buying one of these boat's; mainly for us in river's. They seem pretty burly and the customer service dept. has a good reputation from what info I've gleaned so far. The other boat's I have considered are: The Outcast Commander and the NFO Assault XX. Thanks:) CW

mojo 03-27-2013 04:50 AM

Re: Water Master Kodiak Raft...Thoughts?

The NFO Assault series has rockers where the WM doesn't. Makes a difference on rivers. I have the Outlaw XX and Joni has the Assault. Bladderless, heat welded seams. Inflatable seating area, whereas the WM uses plywood. The NFO's are comfortable boats to fish out of. We also upgraded to the Litespeed oars. The Outcast is a copy of NFO's World Navigator and uses a bladder.
There is a motor mount accessory, we use Scotty glue on mounts for the Scotty rod holders.

schiff 03-27-2013 05:44 AM

I agree that the NFO Assault series would be something to really consider.
It took me a year and a half to look at the different choices and I narrowed it down to the Water Master, Commander and Assault. Sounds like you have the same ideas with your choices. I ended up with the Assault because of the construction and design. The slight rocker is more maneuverable than the WM which is flat when I was looking and is less of a wind catching design like the Commander. The seat is a huge plus as well as bladderless and welded seams. I use it on rivers for 90% of time and have not had a problem with durability, stability (this isn't even a factor, but always mentioned when looking for a boat) or performance.
I belong to a Kayak Fishing Club and now use the Assault on all my river trips. The guys had their doubts when they saw it, but many have tried it and love it. They call it the "Comfy Chair".
I could talk about how much I like this boat for hours.
I am no expert and these are just my opinions and observations from my experiences.
Hope you have good luck in which ever boat you decide on.

cw76 03-27-2013 12:40 PM

Thank you much for the responses:) It looks like you folk's really like you're NFO's and I will take you're opinions into consideration; It would seem I am not the only person in this dilemma, if yo can call it one. Do the NFO raft's seem burly, durable? Have you ripped any holes in yours or heard of people tearing them up? I am hard on stuff so I need something that can take some abuse[poke] Thanks again for the responses. CW

yamagibs 03-27-2013 12:49 PM

Hi Schiff
Do you have the Assault XX or The previous Assault? I am trying to decide between the two.
Thanks

New to the forum from Maine.

cw76 03-27-2013 01:06 PM

To you NFO owners: How is the customer service at NFO? CW

Thanks

the_infidel 03-27-2013 03:02 PM

let me put it like this. I broke 3 oars, on 3 seperate NFO boats this past weekend. All my fault, i went to the shop, admitted fault, they said no problem, here are 3 new oars.

siskiyoublues 03-27-2013 06:04 PM

very happy with my watermaster kodiak.
I've got local friends with NFO products and a couple horror stories to go with them.
I would buy my kodiak again 10 out of 10 times.
PM me if you've got any questions regarding the rafts.

mojo 03-27-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siskiyoublues (Post 541389)
very happy with my watermaster kodiak.
I've got local friends with NFO products and a couple horror stories to go with them.
I would buy my kodiak again 10 out of 10 times.
PM me if you've got any questions regarding the rafts.

So what's the horror stories?
I've never had a problem with them.

siskiyoublues 03-27-2013 06:32 PM

I've seen how religiously people defend their boats on these forums..
If your actually interested in stories of new leaky valves, incredibly slow unresponsive customer service, several attempts to get the right products in the right hands and so on I'll gladly give you a ring and we can chit chat about it.