The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 03:32 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about
Default Water Master Kodiak Raft...Thoughts?

I am seriously considering buying one of these boat's; mainly for us in river's. They seem pretty burly and the customer service dept. has a good reputation from what info I've gleaned so far. The other boat's I have considered are: The Outcast Commander and the NFO Assault XX. Thanks CW

Last edited by cw76; 03-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 AM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Water Master Kodiak Raft...Thoughts?

The NFO Assault series has rockers where the WM doesn't. Makes a difference on rivers. I have the Outlaw XX and Joni has the Assault. Bladderless, heat welded seams. Inflatable seating area, whereas the WM uses plywood. The NFO's are comfortable boats to fish out of. We also upgraded to the Litespeed oars. The Outcast is a copy of NFO's World Navigator and uses a bladder.
There is a motor mount accessory, we use Scotty glue on mounts for the Scotty rod holders.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

I agree that the NFO Assault series would be something to really consider.
It took me a year and a half to look at the different choices and I narrowed it down to the Water Master, Commander and Assault. Sounds like you have the same ideas with your choices. I ended up with the Assault because of the construction and design. The slight rocker is more maneuverable than the WM which is flat when I was looking and is less of a wind catching design like the Commander. The seat is a huge plus as well as bladderless and welded seams. I use it on rivers for 90% of time and have not had a problem with durability, stability (this isn't even a factor, but always mentioned when looking for a boat) or performance.
I belong to a Kayak Fishing Club and now use the Assault on all my river trips. The guys had their doubts when they saw it, but many have tried it and love it. They call it the "Comfy Chair".
I could talk about how much I like this boat for hours.
I am no expert and these are just my opinions and observations from my experiences.
Hope you have good luck in which ever boat you decide on.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Thank you much for the responses It looks like you folk's really like you're NFO's and I will take you're opinions into consideration; It would seem I am not the only person in this dilemma, if yo can call it one. Do the NFO raft's seem burly, durable? Have you ripped any holes in yours or heard of people tearing them up? I am hard on stuff so I need something that can take some abuse Thanks again for the responses. CW
Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM

yamagibs is on a distinguished road

Hi Schiff
Do you have the Assault XX or The previous Assault? I am trying to decide between the two.
Thanks

New to the forum from Maine.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:06 PM

To you NFO owners: How is the customer service at NFO? CW

Thanks
Old 03-27-2013, 03:02 PM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about

let me put it like this. I broke 3 oars, on 3 seperate NFO boats this past weekend. All my fault, i went to the shop, admitted fault, they said no problem, here are 3 new oars.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:04 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

very happy with my watermaster kodiak.
I've got local friends with NFO products and a couple horror stories to go with them.
I would buy my kodiak again 10 out of 10 times.
PM me if you've got any questions regarding the rafts.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskiyoublues View Post
very happy with my watermaster kodiak.
I've got local friends with NFO products and a couple horror stories to go with them.
I would buy my kodiak again 10 out of 10 times.
PM me if you've got any questions regarding the rafts.
So what's the horror stories?
I've never had a problem with them.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:32 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I've seen how religiously people defend their boats on these forums..
If your actually interested in stories of new leaky valves, incredibly slow unresponsive customer service, several attempts to get the right products in the right hands and so on I'll gladly give you a ring and we can chit chat about it.

Steelheader's Anonymous.