The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Joni

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 12:36 PM

yamagibs is on a distinguished road
Default NFO boat Assault or Assault XX ?

New to the forum from Maine.
What are the differences between the NFO Assault and the Assault XX.
I generally fish rivers with quick, class 1 and 2 water. Some dead water to get through. Been using kayaks. How much slower to row Assault compared to Paddling Kayak?
Maybe being able to maneuver with fins is worth the tradeoff of speed on dead water. We have some shallow rivers with lots of rock.
How often will we be patching and what patch do you prefer?
Thanks for your help!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM

the_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura aboutthe_infidel has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: NFO boat Assault or Assault XX ?

Assualt is 1 person Assualt XX is 2 person, but does not have to be. awesome boats!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have both. While infidel is right one is one and one is two, I can break that down a bit more. The Assault is 8' long. Narrower than the Renegade. Weighs about 26 lbs The XX is 10' long and the same width as the Renegade. In fact. it is like two renegade put nose to nose. Weighs about 38 lbs
Renegade on top pf XX:
Click the image to open in full size.

The XX also has an inflated seat area in the front so will carry a lot more weight.

The Assault is nice for hike ins but there is very little room behind the seat for gear. I can get a battery back there but that is it.

In this picture you can see all the room behind the rowing seat on the XX. Also this is with the extra seat and trunk

You can use the XX as a one man with ease. Plus you have tons of stowing space. Thee Assault is a great day tripper.

You can put a motor on either one.

Hope this helps
mcnerney and osok like this.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 AM

schiff has a spectacular aura aboutschiff has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamagibs View Post
New to the forum from Maine.
I generally fish rivers with quick, class 1 and 2 water. Some dead water to get through. Been using kayaks. How much slower to row Assault compared to Paddling Kayak?
Maybe being able to maneuver with fins is worth the tradeoff of speed on dead water. We have some shallow rivers with lots of rock.
How often will we be patching and what patch do you prefer?
Thanks for your help!
I also fish rivers...more class I than II water. I used a sit-on-top yak for years. Belong to a kayak fishing club, so get out often. Since I got the Assault, I rarely use the yak on rivers. Speed...I would say about half the speed of the yak paddling slow pools on the river. It is an easy row and I don't find it an issue. The trade off with the fins...I did not understand how big the upside would be with the fins. On the yak, I make adjustments with the paddle and fish until I get too far off of the angle I want for casting and adjust again. With the fins, I found I was subconsciously moving my feet/fins slowly to keep me in position. Also kicking to move around. Contact with the water is a great advantage. I still use my yak on lakes to spot jump quickly.
Patches...I have not needed one yet from rocks or bottom scraping. I can't see the need in the future either, as the craft material is thick and light.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Dave told me there are several layers with a layer of Kevlar in the mix. It is a tough skin.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:15 PM

yamagibs is on a distinguished road

Thanks to everyone for your interest, photos and input . I just ordered two Assault XX from Derek of NFO. It was a very pleasant experience and looking forward to getting it in the water. Will update later. Thanks again!! Also, this is an awesome forum!