The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 04:04 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Finally Got'r Done! Ordered NFO Challenger

Well I couldn't be more excited. I just ordered a NFO Challenger X from Dave Scadden. Its I got the frame to go with it so I can put a 4 horse outboard on it. Dave gave me the deal he gave the recent Alaska show which was the best deal of the year he said. I've wanted one of his frameless boats since they came and and now I've got one, but with a frame when I want to use it. I'll be using this baby to drift for trout and steelhead, fish kelp beds for ling cod, fish for stripers and and large mouth in the CA. Delta and more. Its coming with a bunch of other great accessories all for $2499 that retails for $3800. If you all remember anything about me one thing likely I love a good deal. If anyone has been on the fence and has the money you might want to call NFO today, because he is done finishing off the Alaska orders he said the Alaska deals will be over.

Look out Lower Sac, Feather, Yuba, American, and Trinity I'm on my way!

So I said all that to let you all know about the deal, but also to ask which inflatable life vests should I get, which ones are the best bang for your buck!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally Got'r Done! Ordered NFO Challenger

Tom: Congrats on the new NFO Challenger! If you haven't seen his boats up close you will be very impressed with the quality and how rugged they are. I guess I need to jump on Dave's site as I have no idea what the Challenger looks like.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:21 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Nice catch FlyBum! You have miles of smiles ahead of you!

Since you brought Scadden up, I was just looking at a fat new fly fishing catalog that came in the mail today that had NFO boats in it.
At first I noticed the frame on the Outlaw X5 looked just like my Skykomish frame so that got me to wondering if it is and what the benefits are of the Outlaw hull when compared to the Skykomish's? Anybody?
I know a couple people here who have used both.

Also the ad in the catalog said to mount the frame on the Outlaw backwards and then you can mount an outboard on it. I'm thinking that is because the Outlaw really doesn't have the space in the rear to let an outboard hang down. Is that the reason they flip the frame? I never thought of mounting the frame backwards on the Sky and wonder if there's any reason to try it.

Hopefully I can get the answers from the throngs of people here. If not I'll have to bother Dave or Larry I reckon.
FlyBum likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

"So I said all that to let you all know about the deal, but also to ask which inflatable life vests should I get, which ones are the best bang for your buck!"

SOSuspenters. Horse collar sort of thing, and damned near bullet proof. That said, no PFD is worth anything ... if you don't have it on.
FlyBum likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
"So I said all that to let you all know about the deal, but also to ask which inflatable life vests should I get, which ones are the best bang for your buck!"

SOSuspenters. Horse collar sort of thing, and damned near bullet proof. That said, no PFD is worth anything ... if you don't have it on.
Good catch FAE I was wondering when someone would answer that question.

What about this? It could double as a wader belt as as be used on my new NFO pontoon
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:15 AM

osok will become famous soon enoughosok will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
Good catch FAE I was wondering when someone would answer that question.

What about this? It could double as a wader belt as as be used on my new NFO pontoon Onyx M-24 Belt Pack Manual Inflatable Life Jacket (PFD) - YouTube
This is the type of PFD that the guides on the San Juan provide guests. In New Mexico, you are required to wear a PFD if in(on) a paddle craft. If on a craft that has an electric or gas motor, you are only required to have PFD on board. The guides provide this type because it is so easy to wear. Don't know how effective they are but they pass the law test.

Congrats on the pontoon, I really like my X5 from NFO.
FlyBum likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post

The collar type inflatable IS the way to go.
I've been using them since before they were coast guard approved simply because they made sense to me. I used to race sailboats both short and long distance and in weekly series. Doing the series you went out regardless of the weather because every point mattered in the final standings. In 2-300 mile races that stretched over several days you were at the mercy of the weather so the collar type life jacket was on me more than any I owned before.
- They are comfortable and not cumbersome. In hot weather they excelled over the jackets. Being comfortable you are more apt to wear it.
- The collar type is a true life jacket when inflated. It acts much like the old Mae West jackets in that it keeps you face up when dunked.
- The type I use inflates in three different ways. Automatically if you are dunked, manually with an inflation tube or manually by pulling a rip-cord.

In all the years I've owned them I only had them go off by themselves twice. Once when I left it on my parked 'toon in a full days downpour.
That was a shocker for those of us huddled under a canopy trying to stay dry.
The other time when it was down below on a boat when I was off-watch and trying to nap in a soaking wet cabin loaded with wet sails, foul weather gear and people. Another shocker.

The way I see it, if I'm in a situation where I need a life preserver I want it to work well enough to preserve my life and like you said, the only way that works is if you have it on.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:03 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Finally Got'r Done! Ordered NFO Challenger

The Jackster's covered all the ground. Words of WISDOM!

Am I 'fan' of the belt type? In a word NO. Reason being is the flotation is at your middle and doesn't keep your head up out of the water. The primary purpose of a PFD is to keep your head/face above water (think waves). I go back far enough when a 'life jackets' were actually cork slats in pouches. Problem with these is (if you were in the water) is it was damned near impossible to 'swim.' Then to Kapok, flexible you could swim .... but if the bags the material was in leaked they absorbed water and you had nothing. Actually, less than nothing.

fae
Old 04-04-2013, 12:33 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Nice catch FlyBum! You have miles of smiles ahead of you!

Since you brought Scadden up, I was just looking at a fat new fly fishing catalog that came in the mail today that had NFO boats in it.
At first I noticed the frame on the Outlaw X5 looked just like my Skykomish frame so that got me to wondering if it is and what the benefits are of the Outlaw hull when compared to the Skykomish's? Anybody?
I Jack, your Sky has two toons. The Outlaw series is a single unit so to speak. Much more stable than 2 separate toons also the capacity is increased. The frame to the Skykomish's and the X5 are the same size. The Challenger is bigger and the frame is called the X7.

I know a couple people here who have used both.

Also the ad in the catalog said to mount the frame on the Outlaw backwards and then you can mount an outboard on it. I'm thinking that is because the Outlaw really doesn't have the space in the rear to let an outboard hang down. Is that the reason they flip the frame? I never thought of mounting the frame backwards on the Sky and wonder if there's any reason to try it.

Hopefully I can get the answers from the throngs of people here. If not I'll have to bother Dave or Larry I reckon.
If there's any more questions I can help with, let me know
FlyBum likes this.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
If there's any more questions I can help with, let me know
Thanky Mojo!

What about the frame mounted backwards for motoring? Have you heard of such a thing and would it even make sense on a Skyko?