The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mojo
  • 1 Post By mojo
  • 1 Post By mojo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Tohatsu 5 horse any good?

Growing up my dad always had Johnsons, Evenrudes, or Mercurys. I know Hondas and Nissons are good motors, but I've never heard of Tohatsu. I'm looking for motor for the NFO Challenger and there is a 5 horse locally for sale for $700. It looks new, but I don't know how many hours are on it yet, but before purchasing it checked out. I'm just wondering if they are a good motor.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:57 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tohatsu 5 horse any good?

A rental boat place near me uses Tohatsus on all its skiff rentals. This would say to me that they are low maintenence if nothing else. They have at least 25 of them!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Look closely at a 5 hp Merc, Nissan and Tohustu and see if there's any difference other than color.
theboz likes this.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:47 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about

the guys with gheenoes have positive comments on 'em. Not sure if anyone thee has a 5 but have seen comments on the larger motors with no issues that I can remember.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:03 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Pretty much the same motors. Tohatsu makes Nissan and 30 hp and under Mercs. I also think Mercury has an investment in both companies. The main differences are cosmetic and maybe the shift lever designs- little minor odds and ends.
FlyBum likes this.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have a question for Tom or anyone who can answer, how strong of a Transom / motor mount on these rafts?

I ask because I have a steel frame OutCast 13' FishCat with a pretty beefy mount. I use a 3.3 Mercury at times and it produces enough torque to warn you to be careful with that throttle. The thrust from the prop will flex the rear portion of the frame significantly when you start out. 5 horse power seems a lot for a raft unless it's a really big one.

That's all,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-05-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have a question for Tom or anyone who can answer, how strong of a Transom / motor mount on these rafts?

I ask because I have a steel frame OutCast 13' FishCat with a pretty beefy mount. I use a 3.3 Mercury at times and it produces enough torque to warn you to be careful with that throttle. The thrust from the prop will flex the rear portion of the frame significantly when you start out. 5 horse power seems a lot for a raft unless it's a really big one.

That's all,

Ard
Ard, these boats like the Challenger are a little different than yours. His Challenger is of course frameless, but there is a frame for it that you can get. The motor mounts on a hd transom and not on the frame. The transom is attached to the toon's with cam straps.

Look at the video at about 3:58 to see the motor setup.

Towards the bottom of the page is the hd transom/deck
http://www.northforkoutdoors.com/201...log/page3.html
I have the larger deck and used a 2x4 on the back with 1" aluminum straps to strengthen the transom. No torque issues at all. On stillwater it was more a pia than it was worth having to turn around start it, kill it, start it, kill it etc. etc. I'll stick with an electric motor there.

Here's a photo of my setup.
Click the image to open in full size.
FlyBum likes this.