The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Lund boat (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/315931-lund-boat.html)

rockriver 04-07-2013 10:24 AM

Lund boat

Anyone have anything to say about a 16 foot Lund Fury with 25 h.p. Mercury electric start, tiller and power tilt? I need something other than my canoes for walleye fishing and this seems the way to go. Boat would be purchased new. Thanks.

gt05254 04-07-2013 02:34 PM

Re: Lund boat

My Lund 14 footer was built in 1982...30 years ago. It has seen very heavy duty service with me, and does not have leak one. Best aluminum semi-V hull in the world, as far as I'm concerned.

Used to have a 25 on it, went like crazy. Geared down to an electric start 15 merc to save on shoulder pulls, still goes just fine.

I just don't think you can do better than a lund for a production boat.

I'm sure other's mileages are going to vary, lol.
Gary

Hardyreels 04-07-2013 02:40 PM

Gary's a Lund owner and his word seems solid regarding experience with his. My kudos go to the power trim! If I didn't have the ability to raise the foot of my motor with my pinkie finger I would have had plenty of trouble over the years. You will be running a prop and not a jet but not having to pre set the trim is a joy to be appreciated.

Sounds like a great Walleye boat,

Ard

rockriver 04-07-2013 05:15 PM

I thank Dan for all the great email exchanges and phone conversation on fly fishing for walleye that started me on this. :) I just spent the majority of my free time over the winter looking over stocking data for the last 20 years, studying lake contours, inlets and outlets, and fishing pressure to pick out what I believe will result in some great walleye fishing with virtually no competition.
The boat will be the best choice I believe since 2 of the areas have a lot of old stumps in the shallows, thus I have no great need to go like a jet to get anyplace. I welcome any info since I haven't wrote a check yet.

rockriver 04-25-2013 10:40 AM

After this post on the 7th, I called the dealer and told him I'd take the boat. Finally last Tuesday, the weather was decent and I went and wrote the check and brought it home. Now for nice weather, the ice to melt off and the May 15th. Walleye opener. That's not far off and with the really nice warm up the next few days, it looks like the 15th is going to work out for this area.

woodrivertroutbum 04-25-2013 12:20 PM

I think you will love it. My guide buddy has a beautiful 22' Mako bay boat but he also has a 16' Lund that gets used just as much in the salt ponds. Sweet rides.

waterfordcreek 04-28-2013 07:17 PM

Nice pick-up...

Now a jackplate with low water pickup... fairly inexpensive, will make it a very versatile.

Good luck with it...Great choice!

Jim

Guest1 04-28-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockriver (Post 544799)
I thank Dan for all the great email exchanges and phone conversation on fly fishing for walleye that started me on this. :)

You are more than welcome.

Congrats on the new boat. Those Lund boats are really popular up here in Minnesota. They are well made boats. The 16' aluminum versions are really versatile.

Anytime you want to call or BS about Walleye, give me a ring.

rockriver 04-29-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver Dan (Post 550920)
You are more than welcome.

Congrats on the new boat. Those Lund boats are really popular up here in Minnesota. They are well made boats. The 16' aluminum versions are really versatile.

Anytime you want to call or BS about Walleye, give me a ring.

Will do Dan. Thanks, Emil