The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 01:45 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

I just replaced my vest after 25 years. It's a columbia that has worked great, only it's solid material. It's hell in summer, so this year I got a Orvis mesh vest. Wow, lighter and cooler. At my age now all that counts.

Craig
dean_mt and fly_guy12955 like this.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:53 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I was surprised he didn't pull his side gun and some clips from it.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post
I was surprised he didn't pull his side gun and some clips from it.
The 12 gauge shotgun was in one of the pockets he could find!

I'm heading to the shop to peruse the inventory. I have a wish-list of stuff that is unfortunately thicker than my wallet at the moment. I'll be weighing my options carefully as I "want" a vest and new reel. But I need a new line...
Old 05-03-2013, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Worn out some vests Dean...and still wearing one(a G3)...I like to have all my little stuff close at handhate missing something when I need it
Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 PM

vanceinak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
Serious? I wouldn't need 9 fly boxes in my vest if I were Survivorman parachuting into a remote place for a 40-day stay. Surely not serious!
yeah but he's a guide...

Matthew 6:33
"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Have a chest pack and feel uncomfortable wearing it . Had a Woolrich vest since the 80s and became a little to attached to it. It was comfortable had big pockets just what I like but over the years got a little holy (this does not mean it went to church , the other holy). Took my grandson out last spring and my daughter commented that maybe it was time to trash the vest. Of course I said no it's a part of my personality and left it at that. Christmas rolls around and she buys me this new vest mesh really nice . In the box is a card that says enjoy your new vest and please throw the rag out! I wear my new vest and I like it a lot but the old one still hangs on my tying chair unless she comes to visit then I hide it . Some things are hard to toss !
imxer, Rip Tide and dean_mt like this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 05-03-2013, 05:12 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

Got away from vests about 3 years ago,went with the waterdance pack,excellent,just upgraded to the new umpqua 650 ledges pack with more room,so far very nice pack,shoulders dont get tired anymore after 6-8 hours on the water.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:41 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
Worn out some vests Dean...and still wearing one(a G3)...I like to have all my little stuff close at handhate missing something when I need it
And you can fit a 16" deep dish pizza in the back pocket!!

I went with the new Simms vertical mesh vest. I had a gift certificate that eased the pain. First, I like the mesh body for obvious reasons - light and cool. The main pockets are ... vertical, hence the name, to avoid all that bulk around the bottom that I disliked.

I'm looking forward to filling it up and taking it fishin!

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonwt View Post
Got away from vests about 3 years ago,went with the waterdance pack,excellent,just upgraded to the new umpqua 650 ledges pack with more room,so far very nice pack,shoulders dont get tired anymore after 6-8 hours on the water.
Thanks for sharing, winston, but this is a vest thread.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough
Thumbs down Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

Really,i get rid of another member on another forum who went by 720fly and now i get deal with another one what a shame.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
You mean like this dude? If you need 9 fly boxes on the river then ... well he's making up for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...MEZYDRmL0#t=9s
If any of you ever see me decked out like that, PLEASE euthanize me.

---------- Post added at 05:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Have struggled with the vest / various option thing for forever.

They all have too many of the wrong size pockets all over the place and not enough of the right sized pockets in the right places. Packs, etc all feel cumbersome of difficult to use to me.

I want simple. I am a minimalist. Am seriously considering having one made . I want a vest with pockets the size I want, where I want them. (Actually thinking about a foul weather wading jacket too.)