The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 11:29 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

After years of using a hip pack, then tiring of it I searched high and low, read and tried every sling and chest and fanny and whatever pack that I could. For one year I've been using a Patagonia Sling pack. It is a really nice piece of gear, very comfortable, but not what I ideally want.

After all of this...what I ideally want is to go back to the old fishing vest! But not the old-fashioned vest, I did leave it behind so many years ago for reasons. I really don't like all the small, soft pockets all over the old style vest. There are too many and they are dysfunctional. Also, the way they carry and do not distribute the weight of it's contents well at all. Fortunately these issues have been addressed since I last bought a vest (15 years ago?)

What I do want out of a vest, which all the other pack options do not provide, is easy access to multiple fly boxes. Now of course, with the explosion of chest, fanny, hip, sling, etc. packs the vest options are going by the wayside. The best I've found so far is the Simms Vertical style. I like that the boxes are high and well, vertical, rather than in the traditional low and horizontal position. I sure wish Patagonia still made the Riverwalker.

Who else has eschewed the trend of packs and gone back to (or never left) the use of the good 'ole fishin vest?
fysh likes this.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

I never got away from using a vest. In fact my LLBean trout vest is the same one that I've been using since the late '70s. It was well made but doesn't have a halfatrillion pockets like "newer" vests do, so I've never had issues with "too heavy" or "too much cr@p" that other former vest users seem to complain about.
I tried a chest pack exactly one day. Not for me.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:18 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

I have an old one that I recently replaced with a new one from Bass Pro Shops (less than $60).

Downside of older: the old vests fit lower, and got wet easier as a result. Many of their pockets were useless (unless you smoke).

Upside of newer: light-weight clothing that dries easily.

Upside/downside: I miss the old wool dry patch. But at least the new felt(?) patch folds up from the bottom, so I lose fewer flies from it.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Going back to the Old, new-Fashioned Vest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
.Upside/downside: I miss the old wool dry patch. But at least the new felt(?) patch folds up from the bottom, so I lose fewer flies from it.
I should probably put this in the "tips " thread
When my wife was tossing her old fleece slippers like these I snuck them out of the trash and made myself up a bunch of the wool patches.
You just have to trim the fleece back a bit and add a safety pin.

Click the image to open in full size.
fysh, BlueDun, mcnerney and 3 others like this.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:07 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I never got away from using a vest. In fact my LLBean trout vest is the same one that I've been using since the late '70s. It was well made but doesn't have a halfatrillion pockets like "newer" vests do, so I've never had issues with "too heavy" or "too much cr@p" that other former vest users seem to complain about.
I tried a chest pack exactly one day. Not for me.
You mean like this dude? If you need 9 fly boxes on the river then ... well he's making up for something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...MEZYDRmL0#t=9s
Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I got a vest / pack type for Nancy back in 2007 / 2008, bought from FishWest off eBay. It was dirt cheap and I thought that if it were junk I would just have to spring for one of the big name brands.

It is at least as good as the expensive ones and perhaps better. Of course they are "Discontinued" God, I hate that!

I even called FishWest before making this reply to see if I could hook you up with one, that's how I know they sold the last in 2009.

I'm PM a link to you.
dean_mt likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
You mean like this dude? If you need 9 fly boxes on the river then ... well he's making up for something.

I'd say the dude has a sickness or severe addiction. It would be interesting to see how long it would take for him to find a particular fly in a hurry.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
I'd say the dude has a sickness or severe addiction. It would be interesting to see how long it would take for him to find a particular fly in a hurry.
Completely ridiculous. That vest weighs at least 20 lbs. No thanks!
Old 05-01-2013, 07:46 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

that video was absurdly funny
must be awkward fishing with all those boxes

as far as a vest, i've been using a patagonia canyonwalker
for over 5 years now and love it.
i really like the vertical pocket design for carrying longer boxes
and the mesh body keeps me cool.

casey

ARFE
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post

Serious? I wouldn't need 9 fly boxes in my vest if I were Survivorman parachuting into a remote place for a 40-day stay. Surely not serious!