The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light
Default UPDATE: got FP, pics included. Which vest to get? (Orvis vs Fishpond)

UPDATE:
so i ended up getting FISHPOND Gore Range vest.
already stuffed it with few things, still have quite a few empty pockets
hopefully get to test it out soon.
vest if comfy, built quality seems great. time will tell how it holds up.
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by romanl; 05-06-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:14 AM

markg52 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Which vest to get? (Orvis vs Fishpond)

I can't help you much on choosing the vest but my experience with fishpond CS was remarkable. I bought a Waterdance Guide pack a few years ago, like 2010, great pack except the straps on the water bottle holders would not keep bottles from slipping out the bottom. In 2011, I think, they changed it back to a completely covered bottom on the bottle holders. I emailed fishpond and they sent me a brand new model and i shipped them back mine. All at no cost to me. For the record, I bounce between the fp Guide Pack and a Simms G3 vest when trout fishing, and go with just a fishpond Red Tail Wader System belt when wet wading. I might throw on an old Patagonia shorty vest when wet wading with casting rod/ tackle.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help you on these specific models either. But I did own a FP Waterdance as well. I used it hard for 5 years and it was still perfectly functional albeit well worn when I decided to try a sling. Fishpond is certainly well made and durable if a little heavy and bulky. The only thing I'd say is to consider the weight and how hot you'll be in the summer, the mesh back looks like a nice feature. Otherwise, I am fickle and want my vest/pack to do specific things...but I'm also cheap so I really like to wear/test something before committing. Unfortunately that means actually fishing in something to really know how it will work. So I like to know the return policy and try not to get it dirty during that first "test run" on the stream. I bought Simms chest pack last year from my local shop, wore it fishing one day and hated it. I wiped it clean and returned the next day!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:30 PM

romanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of lightromanl is a glorious beacon of light

cool thanks guys, good to hear CS is excellent.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:03 PM

winstonwt will become famous soon enoughwinstonwt will become famous soon enough

I have been using a waterdance pack the last few years, just upgraded to the umpqua 650 pack,I just sold my fishpond gore range vest that i had for quite awhile, the most comfortable vest to wear especially easy on the shoulders.Just a sidenote i sold that vest for 66.00.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM

^^ thanks,
i have thing thing about buying NEW, but for a good deal and if in good shape i might be convinced to buy USED.
i have been looking on the internetz but very few come up used.
and i would only buy locally (no shipping) so i can check it out in person

thanks for the feedback im glad to hear its a great vest, i've been leaning more and more towards FP over ORVIS
Old 05-04-2013, 05:29 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

I have tried many vests and There is no better vest than the Gore Range Tech Pack. ( In my opinion) Very comfortable vest with great weight distribution. It has 17 total pockets. Also, it is very adjustable.

Last edited by troutchaser8; 05-15-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 PM

Thanks Thats good feedback. I'm pretty sure in going to pick up GoreRange Fishpond vest