The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 09:28 AM

wcs_michfan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My new Scadden Renegade

I'm pretty sure I know where you're talking about fly goddess. Thanks for the information. Can't wait to float the Madison, Beaverhead, Missouri in my new dingy (that's what my so called friends are calling my new renegade)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:11 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

When you heading there? We will be in the area the 19th thru 23rd
Old 06-16-2013, 09:59 AM

I'll will be there June 27th - July 8th or so.

Update: Dave had to give me a refund on his fins. Sounds like the manufacturer who makes them might be having financial problems and Dave couldn't say when or if I'd be getting them. Disappointing as they sounded like a really cool fin since they flip up. Any other suggestions on fins?

Also, I love my lightspeed oars, but I'm having a little trouble rowing. Does anyone else notice that your hands are so close together after the stroke it makes it a little awkward - also hit my knees now and then. Probably just need to get used to it.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:09 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs_michfan View Post
I'll will be there June 27th - July 8th or so.

Update: Dave had to give me a refund on his fins. Sounds like the manufacturer who makes them might be having financial problems and Dave couldn't say when or if I'd be getting them. Disappointing as they sounded like a really cool fin since they flip up. Any other suggestions on fins?

Also, I love my lightspeed oars, but I'm having a little trouble rowing. Does anyone else notice that your hands are so close together after the stroke it makes it a little awkward - also hit my knees now and then. Probably just need to get used to it.
Sorry to hear about the fins, they are really nice.

The lightspeed oars have a couple different hole settings (when you attach to the boat) which allow you to use what works best for you. Try a different setting, the way I have mine installed the handles don't touch. Also, I tend to like the handles spread apart as that results in a longer blade in the water so you can really dig when you need to. The knee issue, you just have to get used to rowing and watch the knees.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:21 AM

Thanks Larry. One other question: do you guys use fins when floating rivers? Or just rely on the oars. I was thinking that slow rivers like the Missouri, a guy could use his fins to float and cast at the same time? Not sure it would work on faster water like the upper Madison, Beaverhead, etc.
Old 06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs_michfan View Post
Thanks Larry. One other question: do you guys use fins when floating rivers? Or just rely on the oars. I was thinking that slow rivers like the Missouri, a guy could use his fins to float and cast at the same time? Not sure it would work on faster water like the upper Madison, Beaverhead, etc.
Yes, on slow water the fins work great to position the boat and cast at the same time. On faster water you will need to use the oars to find fishy spots or to pull into slack water to wade.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:59 AM

Thanks again Larry. Just went to check my oars and it doesn't appear that there are different settings with the section that attaches to the boat?? The middle piece of the oar has 3 different settings, but it looks those just adjust the angle of the paddle. Not sure - wonder if I need to drill a new hole to get the handles away from each other as they're almost touching at the end of the stroke.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:19 AM
Administrator

Maybe they have changed the design, when I get home I will take a photo of mine.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks - Yeah, might be a different manufacturer although they look almost identical. These are "Aqua Bound" Manta Ray Fiberglass. I ordered the Lightspeeds so not sure what's going on here. They looks almost identical to the pictures of the lightspeeds however and seem to perform well. Just need to drill another hole about 2" further up the shaft to get my hands away from each other I think?
Old 06-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Administrator

The two sets of holes on my oars are at 8 3/4" above the joint and 11 3/4" above the joint, hope that helps.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.