The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:57 AM

wcs_michfan is on a distinguished road
Default My new Scadden Renegade

Got my new Renegade this week. Looks like a good boat, but I do have few issues - was hoping

1. I inflated the boat and it seemed to hold pressure well during the day. Couldn't hear any leaks. However, I left it inflated over night and noticed it had lost pressure by morning in both pontoons. Is this natural or do I have a problem??

2. I ordered the lightspeed oars and fins, but when my boat arrived, there was a slip of paper that notified me they are on back order. Would have been nice if NFO would have mentioned that during my purchase and follow up calls.

3. The male piece of the buckles are missing for the seat. Kind of a bummer - I'll have to call on those.

I'm sure I'll be happy with the boat over the long term. It looks great in blue.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:11 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My new Scadden Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs_michfan View Post
Got my new Renegade this week. Looks like a good boat, but I do have few issues - was hoping

1. I inflated the boat and it seemed to hold pressure well during the day. Couldn't hear any leaks. However, I left it inflated over night and noticed it had lost pressure by morning in both pontoons. Is this natural or do I have a problem??

2. I ordered the lightspeed oars and fins, but when my boat arrived, there was a slip of paper that notified me they are on back order. Would have been nice if NFO would have mentioned that during my purchase and follow up calls.

3. The male piece of the buckles are missing for the seat. Kind of a bummer - I'll have to call on those.

I'm sure I'll be happy with the boat over the long term. It looks great in blue.
That is the norm in bladderless pontoon construction. Don't worry about it.

Dennis
Old 05-05-2013, 11:33 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs_michfan View Post
It's also possible that if the temps went down over night the pontoons softened up without air loss.

I have no experience with bladderless boats, but this is true with float tubes for sure...
Old 05-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Thanks guys. Yeah, the temp diff was like 40 degrees between day and night. Sure it's fine.

Now if I can just get the rest of my stuff - I'll have a fun new ride
Old 05-05-2013, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I hope you'll post when you get the items and get it on the water. If you do any overnight trips you'll do good to carry a small duel stage pump along to attend to fine tunning the tubes in the morning.

I've already put rafts that were at optimum air into a river only to find that after a few hours the cold water had shrank my air down considerably. Likewise, when you drag your raft up onto a beach on a sunny day you need to be mindful of the expansion from the heat with no cool water under the tubes.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-05-2013, 02:41 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
when you drag your raft up onto a beach on a sunny day you need to be mindful of the expansion from the heat with no cool water under the tubes.
likewise with elevation changes if you transport your boat inflated. Surprising what a couple thousand feet of elevation does to air pressure. I really learned this the easy way when all my potato chip bags exploded going over Sonora Pass a few years back.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Update: Just received my lightspeed oars - waited 5 weeks for those. Still waiting on my fins. Love the boat - just what I was looking for.

Was wondering if anyone could recommend a duffel/carry bag that will fit the pontoon?? I can't seem to find a bag big enough to keep the pontoon in and I don't want to wait for the Scadden bag...who knows how long that would take to receive it and I'm leaving for Montana in a couple of weeks.

All in all, a great boat, but the customer service has lived up to it's reputation (not saying they're bad guys or not well intended - just takes awhile to get all your stuff). I wish they would have been upfront about the oars and fins being on backorder when I made the purchase. No mention of those items being on backorder until after I was charged and received the boat. That being said, I'm happy with the purchase.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure where you are going to in Montana but there is a killer shop in West Yellowstone that we buy all the duffles. Great prices.
You do understand, if the manufacturers of the oars, fins, duffle bags is out , then so is Dave. AND his items are custom made, so he is at their mercy.
Not sticking up for him just pointing out some issues. He mentioned at the Idaho show that his goal is to get the boat out ASAP as that is what he does have control over. He could hang on to them till all the other companies send him the oars, fins, etc...but he kinda figures you want the boat and the oars it comes with are the same that Outcast and Bucks Bags and Creek Company all use.

However, here is the duffle bag I got for my Renegade and my Assault and the Assault XX. However, you do have to suck the sir out of the boat and fold just right to get them in. Not a big issue to me now.
38in Voyager Wheeled Duffel Bag
Plus this company also has bigger ones you might want to look at.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the information Joni - it's much appreciated. Yes, I will be near W. Yellowstone and can swing in there to pick up a bag. What's the name of that place if you don't mind?

Regarding the delay with the oars and fins. I wouldn't have minded the delay, had I been told while I was purchasing everything that there would be a delay. I didn't find that out until I received my boat and there was a slip of paper notifying those items were on backorder. Again, not a big deal, but I would have been a little more upset had I been leaving for Montana a few weeks after the purchase. Again, great boat - it has exceeded expectations! Also, Dave has been responsive to my inquiries.

Thanks again for the information....Tight Lines
Old 06-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure of the name of the shop. It is in a little strip mall thing across the street from Arricks fly shop. They have discounted clothes up front and the bags are in the back of the store. I will see if Mojo knows the name and let you know.