The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2013, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing net: Wood vs Composite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
So I have a brodin hand net (overall 24") with a 9x18" rubber bag. BUT I have short arms! Been looking into getting a longer handled net which would come in "handy" for kayaking too and came across a net from nomad fly fishing which makes a composite (fiberglass I think) landing net....reminds me of a tennis racket.

Has anyone had experience with these nets and can offer info on:

1. Durability? Do they become brittle in the winter? Does leaving them in a hot car adversely affect them?

These nets should be extremely durable as long as the proper methods are used during the lay up and curing procedures.

Cold temps won't effect them. Many aircraft have carbon fiber parts that are exposed to colder temperatures than you'll be fishing in.

Heat won't bother them either as most carbon fiber projects are heat cured at temps at or above 350 degrees. Some projects are vacuum bagged and cured without the use of ovens, but I would imagine the Nomad Nets are heat cured because of the strength needed to lift a very heavy fish, and heat curing makes resins stronger.

2. Lighter than wood?

Fishing nets typically use a hard wood which tends to be more dense, thus heavier....add epoxy resin and finish and it becomes even heavier. When comparing like thicknesses of CF and most wood, generally the wood will tend to be a bit heavier, unless it's Balsa.

3. Naturally buoyant?

My understanding is that this depends on the material/project composition, if the material weighs less than the water it's displacing, then, yes, it will float.
Please do not try this with your fly rod though.

The Nomad nets I believe use a core material in the handle such as balsa or honeycomb that would also help in their float-ability.

They cost more than wood nets in comparable sizes and with rubber bags. I just wonder where that extra costs comes from. The superiority of the design/materials or the extra work it takes to make one vs wood. My guess is they'd be easier to make than wood?

The higher cost for the most part comes from the pre-preg(resin impregnated carbon fiber matte or sheeting), and the upfront cost of design and machining of the molds used for lay up and curing.

Carbon Fiber was in the past much more expensive, but in recent years the availability due to advancements in manufacturing and increased availability because of more stateside pre-preg manufacturers has helped to bring CF cost down.

I think the cost to finish a carbon fiber or wooden net would be pretty comparable in time and materials. They both need to be sanded and sprayed with the chosen finish, whether it's a varnish or paint.
Hope this answers your question, if not, just ask and I'll see what I can find for you.
imxer, Hardyreels and shotgunfly like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Last edited by fysh; 05-12-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:22 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Wood is a sustainable, renewable harvest product, the other is not and could create bio-hazards when it begins to deteriorate.

Dave
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:24 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Cardo,

People who reel in fish using Saracione reels use wood nets.

Ard
And only grass rods. milt
Hardyreels and shotgunfly like this.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Wood is a sustainable, renewable harvest product, the other is not and could create bio-hazards when it begins to deteriorate.

Dave
Dave,

You could have just used this; Click the image to open in full size.
fysh likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

These Nomads are great looking nets! I wish I'd known of them before I bought my Blue Ribbon last summer. The wading angler's net at less than a pound with a rubber bag is amazing. With a nylon bag that thing would weigh nothing.

I might have a lightly used hand made in Montana hardwood net for sale soon...
Hardyreels and fysh like this.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:05 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Thanks gents. The nomad came in today. I have to say that rubberrized handle feels like velvet! Very nice touch and functional. I'm looking forward to taking it out this week.

I still very much love my Brodin and it will get to see plenty of use. I just couldn't go longer with a wooden net given the extra weight and the fact that my left (netting hand) is the one I can't close fully because of my arthritis (is that the world's smallest violin I hear playing just for me?) ;-)

Click the image to open in full size.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-14-2013, 11:52 AM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

You are using that for a boat net, I assume? I wish some shops around here stocked a couple of those, I'd love to get my hands on one...then again, it's probably better that I can't. I'd probably be splurging on another non-essential...
Old 05-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

I picked up a Nomad Guide Net (48" long) for my last outing to Pyramid Lake. I am very glad I had it as the fish were big.....

The net is very strong, very light and they float. I am thinking of picking up a hand net for my back-country trips. The long handle on the guide net makes netting fat bows from my cataraft much easier.

I am glad I made the purchase.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 05-14-2013, 08:50 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
You are using that for a boat net, I assume? I wish some shops around here stocked a couple of those, I'd love to get my hands on one...then again, it's probably better that I can't. I'd probably be splurging on another non-essential...
Boat and land. A bit essential for me. I've been blessed with a few long things, but not arms or legs.
fysh likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-14-2013, 09:28 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I settled on the mid length because a majority of what I do is wade fishing. The short one is too short for landing carp and big trout. The guide net would be perfect for the boat. With the mid length I just stuff it in between my belt and forget about it until I need it which is nice. I did have once incident where my buddy wasn't paying attention and actually lost it in the tail water. Thankfully it floats like cork, and we were able to find it about an hour later.

Chase

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgunfly View Post
Boat and land. A bit essential for me. I've been blessed with a few long things, but not arms or legs.
LOL, just about spit my water out when I went back and re-read that.
Hardyreels and shotgunfly like this.