The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 10:19 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all
Default Landing net: Wood vs Composite

So I have a brodin hand net (overall 24") with a 9x18" rubber bag. BUT I have short arms! Been looking into getting a longer handled net which would come in "handy" for kayaking too and came across a net from nomad fly fishing which makes a composite (fiberglass I think) landing net....reminds me of a tennis racket.

Has anyone had experience with these nets and can offer info on:

1. Durability? Do they become brittle in the winter? Does leaving them in a hot car adversely affect them?

2. Lighter than wood?

3. Naturally buoyant?

They cost more than wood nets in comparable sizes and with rubber bags. I just wonder where that extra costs comes from. The superiority of the design/materials or the extra work it takes to make one vs wood. My guess is they'd be easier to make than wood?
fysh likes this.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-08-2013, 09:03 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Landing net: Wood vs Composite

I have only handled the Nomad net in the shop, but it is lighter than my Brodin. I am interested to hear other responses because my Brodin is starting to wear out!

Randy
Old 05-08-2013, 10:17 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

I bit the bullet and ordered one based on Kevin Best (owner): "...lighter than Brodin or any other wooden model."

I'll update when it gets here on initial thoughts and after a few catches.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-09-2013, 07:53 AM

polar is on a distinguished road

I recently picked up the mid handle and boat net, both are very well made, super light and have an awesome soft touch finish. Boat net can handle large trout or steelhead.
I would Highly recommend them..
shotgunfly likes this.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

You can check out Stephens Handcrafted nets. Super work.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Cardo,

People who reel in fish using Saracione reels use wood nets.

Ard
shotgunfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-11-2013, 01:43 AM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

I was in the same boat as you awhile back. Wood vs composite. In the end I went with a Nomad Mid Length net and I'm glad I did. It did cost a little more than a comparable wood net, but this Nomad net is STRONG and super light. It can land small stream trout to 25lb carp and everything in between no problem. It has also saved my ass a few times from falling in the tailwater by using it as a wading staff. It still looks nearly brand new with very few dings or scratches. The wood net would have been classier, but it would have most likely been beat to hell, possibly even broke. The thing that pushed me over the edge was being able to email Kevin or call him and have an immediate response, excellent customer service.

I have no affiliation with Nomad nets, I just love their product.

Chase
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:58 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I just had a look at the Nomad Guide net Chase, and I gotta tell you that I'll bet I get one of them soon!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-11-2013, 09:15 PM

chased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to beholdchased is a splendid one to behold

Ard, they are SWEET and worth every penny.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:54 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there is reason why I've never seen a long handled wooden net in guide boat before. The composite frames are lighter, take more abuse and are completely functional for scooping trout out of the water.

I have a wood net, BTW, because I like the look. But for a boat net I would go with the lighter version.
shotgunfly likes this.