The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sunglasses

For fishing glasses I strongly recommend glass lenses for the scratch resistance when you need to clean them with a shirttail or whatever. I have a variety of darker shades for sunny days but my absolute favorites are a pair of Costas with the yellow glass lenses, they are perfect for early, late and rainy days.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:53 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I sometimes think about trying Costa's simply because I'm a sucker for marketing and the 'buzz' about some products.
It's been about 12 years and my Maui Jim's just keep on working and working very well.
They're so old they're back in style! The lesson here is, always put your shades in a hard-shell case when not in use and always use a neckstrap tether with them when out playing.
I got the Maui's because they were made for playing on the water. They are used for sailboat racing and fly fishing and just as everyday shades.
Besides the optical clarity and having a copper tint that excells in a wide range of light, the water-specific features are what sold me
They have glare-free lens treatments both inside and out, a hydrophobic finish that repels water and are tinted a bit more at both the top and bottom of the lens to protect from overhead and reflective light and glare.
An auto manufacturer offered me a free pair of Maui Jim's of my choice if I test drove one of their offerings. I had to think about that for about a nano-second and took them up on the offer. I'm like a kid waiting for the postman to deliver his prize.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:49 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Sunglasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
I love my Smith polarchromatic (sp?) sunglasses. I like the way the subtly change shades according to the amount of daylight.

Randy
Randy/any body.

Does anyone make a polar chromatic sun glass' that are also Polaroid?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:15 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout champ View Post
I love my Smith polarchromatic (sp?) sunglasses. I like the way the subtly change shades according to the amount of daylight. I have two pair and my only complaint is they do not have very thick earpieces, or at least the one I have don't. They lenses are made of real glass too!

I have a pair of Oakley that I love, but not as much as the Smith pairs. I have tried on a couple pair of Native glasses and they seem pretty good. I really like how they come with two different lens options and the ability to quickly and easily change said lenses out. I also think the Natives are made in Colorado, but don't quote me on that.

Randy
Yeah, I checked the Native and liked the idea of having the second lens option.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishiowa View Post
For fishing glasses I strongly recommend glass lenses for the scratch resistance when you need to clean them with a shirttail or whatever. I have a variety of darker shades for sunny days but my absolute favorites are a pair of Costas with the yellow glass lenses, they are perfect for early, late and rainy days.
Is that true that Costa's will actually charge for repair or glass replacement for their lifetime warranty? I read these claims from various sites.

---------- Post added at 11:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I sometimes think about trying Costa's simply because I'm a sucker for marketing and the 'buzz' about some products.
It's been about 12 years and my Maui Jim's just keep on working and working very well.
They're so old they're back in style! The lesson here is, always put your shades in a hard-shell case when not in use and always use a neckstrap tether with them when out playing.
I got the Maui's because they were made for playing on the water. They are used for sailboat racing and fly fishing and just as everyday shades.
Besides the optical clarity and having a copper tint that excells in a wide range of light, the water-specific features are what sold me
They have glare-free lens treatments both inside and out, a hydrophobic finish that repels water and are tinted a bit more at both the top and bottom of the lens to protect from overhead and reflective light and glare.
An auto manufacturer offered me a free pair of Maui Jim's of my choice if I test drove one of their offerings. I had to think about that for about a nano-second and took them up on the offer. I'm like a kid waiting for the postman to deliver his prize.
Reading your comment makes me think of a cheaper solution. I might be able to revive the performance of my Oakley but getting their lens cleaning solution (if there is such a thing available). This will save me tons of money.
thanks
Old 05-22-2013, 04:12 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I have to ask...

How did you put together the idea of a lens cleaning solution as alternative to new glasses from Jackster's post?

Jackster, I'm with you. I keep going back to Maui. I have a pair of Revo glasses I use for driving and have started to use for lower light conditions but I grab the Maui's with HCL Bronze more often than not.

Before a recent trip, I stopped in a Sunglasses hut and tried the Maui HT lenses on to compare them to Ray Ban's green polarized lens. There was no comparison. If they had the frames I was looking for in stock I'd have bought them. Those are the lenses most suitable for low light conditions. All I can say is WOW.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Ok, I have to ask...

How did you put together the idea of a lens cleaning solution as alternative to new glasses from Jackster's post?

Jackster, I'm with you. I keep going back to Maui. I have a pair of Revo glasses I use for driving and have started to use for lower light conditions but I grab the Maui's with HCL Bronze more often than not.

Before a recent trip, I stopped in a Sunglasses hut and tried the Maui HT lenses on to compare them to Ray Ban's green polarized lens. There was no comparison. If they had the frames I was looking for in stock I'd have bought them. Those are the lenses most suitable for low light conditions. All I can say is WOW.

Jackster wrote "They have glare-free lens treatments both inside and out" I think I just saved myself some $$$.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:10 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfish View Post

Jackster wrote "They have glare-free lens treatments both inside and out" I think I just saved myself some $$$.
He means that MJ uses a manufacturing process that creates a glare free user experience. Not saying that you might not be on to something, but I have not seen a cleaner or treatment available aftermarket that provides this same level of anti-glare if any at all.

More power to you if you find something and try it. Let us know what you find out.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:13 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Randy/any body.

Does anyone make a polar chromatic sun glass' that are also Polaroid?
Fred,

They sure do. Both pair of my Smith's are polarized.

Randy
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

[QUOTE=runningfish;558410]

Is that true that Costa's will actually charge for repair or glass replacement for their lifetime warranty? I read these claims from various sites.[COLOR="Silver"]

I've only had them about 3 years and haven't needed the warranty so I don't know about the warranty charges. Even though I like glass lenses for durability (wore rx glasses for years pre lasik) I do take care of them, hard case, never dry clean etc. stuff does happen.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:20 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Another vote for Maui Jims. I have a pair of Costa's I bought about 15 years ago but I did not like the fit for my fat head. I bought a pair of Oakley's about 6 years ago and they are okay. I started down the road of needing reading glasses a few years ago so spent my work insurance glasses allowance on a pair of Maui readers for fishing and love them. Very light, outstanding lenses, and the bifocal for tying knots and such is great. No more cheaters on my hat. I bought another pair in a lighter shade for low light conditions. We often skate flies for steelhead until dark and for that I just use a pair of safety glasses with clear lenses from where I work.
jaybo41 likes this.