The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 AM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all
Default Sunglasses

We all know the importance of having a pair of dependable sunglasses in this hobby/sport/obsession that we love.
I am at the point where I have to replace my custom Oakley Monster dog with Vr28 polarizing lens with something else. The Oakley are still very HD for driving but starting to lose they performance sight fishing in a cloudy day or looking into shaded water.
Prior to buying the Oakley years ago, I had Costa Del Mar 580P Amber lenses in mind but opted to chose Oakley Vr28 Brown lenses instead.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the brands and lens color for sunny, bright and cloudy days?
thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 12:36 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sunglasses

For the past 1+ I've been using Native sunglasses with brown lenses and found them to work very well. They came with some other lenses but I haven't felt the need to change from the brown. I got mine through a 'pro-deal' but I think wide open spaces has some on sale now.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:24 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I wear Oakley for all my outdoor pursuits. For fishing their polarized dark amber color works best for me. I use it in Flak Jaks and M-Frames.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:37 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Everybody has brand preference, so here's mine. I've been wearing Maui Jim for fishing the past several years and have been extremely pleased. Their recommended lens colors for full sun to overcast are HCL Bronze or the Rose. I have the bronze. Since getting them I've found I've been cognizant of taking greater care of them than I had when I was buying cheaper ones. That's not to say the cheaper ones aren't a good option.

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get polarized lenses, some are perfectly OK buying them from wherever. If that works, great. It's all about how they perform to you.

http://www.mauijim.com/right_lens.html

The Sport models are the more affordable option, they have several different frame designs and lens shapes available.

If you can get to a sunglasses shop/eye care center/eye doctor and try some different ones on to compare the lens clarity and fit, that would be highly advisable.
coug likes this.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:42 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickj View Post
I wear Oakley for all my outdoor pursuits. For fishing their polarized dark amber color works best for me. I use it in Flak Jaks and M-Frames.
Just my .02 cents, but use prescription glasses already? Just get 'clip ons' for most applications or "Cocoons" ($50.00) 'over glasses.' Very light, very functional and 'cheap as chips' for a very good product.
osok, dakotakid and runningfish like this.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:16 PM

wlai is on a distinguished road

I got the cocoons and they work well, even if looking a it dorky :-)
Old 05-21-2013, 04:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlai View Post
Well at my age no one looks at me and thinks 'Dorky.' Acually where they really 'shine,' pun intended, is with side glare. The wide side frames are a treat.

fae
jcw355 likes this.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 PM

runningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to allrunningfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Just my .02 cents, but use prescription glasses already? Just get 'clip ons' for most applications or "Cocoons" ($50.00) 'over glasses.' Very light, very functional and 'cheap as chips' for a very good product.
I heard about Maui Jim will check it out.
Beside the Oakley, I have the Costco brand clip on $12 and polarized too when I am too lazy to put my contact lens on. However, the frame of my glasses and the clip on don't really block the glare coming from below.

I can wait until Backcountry has more discounts and get the Maui Jim or the Costa Del Mar.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlai View Post
My boss has a pair and every time he puts them on he looked like he was about to go snorkeling.

---------- Post added at 04:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
For the past 1+ I've been using Native sunglasses with brown lenses and found them to work very well. They came with some other lenses but I haven't felt the need to change from the brown. I got mine through a 'pro-deal' but I think wide open spaces has some on sale now.
Yeah, the Native are nice, I'll put them in the try list.
thanks

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Everybody has brand preference, so here's mine. I've been wearing Maui Jim for fishing the past several years and have been extremely pleased. Their recommended lens colors for full sun to overcast are HCL Bronze or the Rose. I have the bronze. Since getting them I've found I've been cognizant of taking greater care of them than I had when I was buying cheaper ones. That's not to say the cheaper ones aren't a good option.

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get polarized lenses, some are perfectly OK buying them from wherever. If that works, great. It's all about how they perform to you.

http://www.mauijim.com/right_lens.html

The Sport models are the more affordable option, they have several different frame designs and lens shapes available.

If you can get to a sunglasses shop/eye care center/eye doctor and try some different ones on to compare the lens clarity and fit, that would be highly advisable.
I Like the selections they have. This is gonna be tough to choose since they look very promising.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:26 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i've been wearing smith sunglasses for years with no problems

casey

ARFE
Old 05-22-2013, 12:45 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I love my Smith polarchromatic (sp?) sunglasses. I like the way the subtly change shades according to the amount of daylight. I have two pair and my only complaint is they do not have very thick earpieces, or at least the one I have don't. They lenses are made of real glass too!

I have a pair of Oakley that I love, but not as much as the Smith pairs. I have tried on a couple pair of Native glasses and they seem pretty good. I really like how they come with two different lens options and the ability to quickly and easily change said lenses out. I also think the Natives are made in Colorado, but don't quote me on that.

Randy