The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 07:54 AM

roadkill1948 is on a distinguished road
Default Armor All on waders?

Got a pair of Cabelas waders and in the care instruction, it said to apply a protectant like Armor All. Does that make sense? Thanks.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:06 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Armor All on waders?

That depends on the type of wader. Breathable waders, no it does not. At least to me anyway. Neoprene--maybe but I never did with mine when I had them.

Which model are they?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:11 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

It makes sense if the wader is constructed of some type of plastic.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I have 3 different pairs of Cabelas waders that are not breathables and I can't think of any reason to use Armor All on any of them
Neoprenes, Three Forks (cordura/rubber) and flyweights (nylon)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:44 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If it is a breathable, you may want to use a Nikwax combination. First wash it in Nikwax Techwash. Then spray it with Nikwax TX Direct. Follow the product instructions.
fredaevans, mysticm and shotgunfly like this.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 AM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Leads me to another question...how do you all clean your waders? I just rinse and scrub with a soft brush not adding any cleaners (soap, detergent).....

Can I use a detergent/soap/cleaner?
Does mud and dirt eventually set in and ruin the material?

I know I should check with Patagonia but thought I'd ask and see if there are some experienced answers vs the typical manufacturer info.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com
Old 05-23-2013, 10:45 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

It is always advisable to follow the brand manufacturer's instruction, some of which might be based on the materials used in the waders. Some recommend powders, some don't specify but call for a mild detergent. Stay away from fabric softeners and anything but the mild detergents. I wash mine once a year.

Here's everything you want to know about Simms.

Repairs

I have used the Nikwax products with good success on jackets, other waders and it works good.

I also have had very good results with this from everything to Gore Tex to the various other types of breathable materials. It's also great to use on fleeces, layers and soft shells. The list of materials it can be used to wash is endless, look at the label or their website.

Atsko Sport Wash 1L Bottle (34 wash) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors Atsko Sport Wash 1L Bottle (34 wash) : Amazon.com : Sports & Outdoors
mysticm likes this.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:50 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

We have breathable Willy J's, Orvis, and Rivendell waders plus LL Bean Hippers. I use Snowy powder and gentle wash on cold. When dry I spray with Revivex. Look like new!
My Rivendells are going on six years now. I do wash them at least twice a year, but I rinse them every outing.

I have had bad luck with Armorall in that it eventually dries the material it is sprayed on out, and makes it brittle.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:12 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I machine wash my waders - hand wash cycle/gentle cycle - with Ivory Snow powdered detergent. My washing machine does not have an agitator, if it did, I would not use a machine. I used to simply wash them in the bathtub with the same powdered detergent - not liquid. Simms Gor Tex
waders.

I would never put armor all on any wader.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I like to make the neighbors wonder what I'm doing when I wash my waders, so I always do it in the front yard.

1.) Turn on the truck stereo

2.) Fill a bucket with cold water and a bit of powdered laundry soap.

3.) I put the waders on.

4.) Grab a wash mitt or sponge. (mine is used only for this purpose.)

5.) Proceed to slowly and tastefully wash the waders.

6.) Rinse with cold water. (the waders....not me.)

7.) Remove and hang waders to dry.

8.) Sit in the shade with a cold beer or two in hand and enjoy a job well done.
stlskyline and djamtime like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*