The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 02:03 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Folstaf repair

Begin Click the image to open in full size.

While I understand that some of us like a solid staff, I do not use mine at all times. The folding staff is the ticket if you only need them when you need them. Like Jack's experience, mine has never acted like it will collapse on me. After getting stuck between a couple rocks once and seeing how that can go, you learn to be as careful where you place the staff as you are with your feet.

When walking a riverside or trail (scarce here) it's nice to have it in the pouch out of hand.

End Click the image to open in full size.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2013, 07:02 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know why anyone would willfully give up the convenience of being able to fold up their staff and carry it on their hip.
Where I fished last week there were no trails and bushwacking was next to impossible due to the thick forest. It was hard enough to get your rod through with out getting the line snagged on a branch every few steps.
Having to carry "more stuff'"... especially a lead weighted staff..... would have made this more difficult than it already was.
I'm sure that your lead weighted staff works for you Fred and you can beat your drum all you want, but where I fish it just doesn't make any sense
Old 06-12-2013, 02:45 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I don't know why anyone would willfully give up the convenience of being able to fold up their staff and carry it on their hip.
Where I fished last week there were no trails and bushwacking was next to impossible due to the thick forest. It was hard enough to get your rod through with out getting the line snagged on a branch every few steps.
Having to carry "more stuff'"... especially a lead weighted staff..... would have made this more difficult than it already was.
I'm sure that your lead weighted staff works for you Fred and you can beat your drum all you want, but where I fish it just doesn't make any sense
Although I don't have a folding staff I agree with you completely Rip! Luckily the piece of water I Shad fish on the Delaware I don't need a staff . 3 weeks ago I could stroll 300 ft to my spot rods strung standing tall and relaxed . Last week the same spot was rods broken down bare essentials and practically crawl thru on hands and knees ! The trail becomes so tiny I'm waiting for Yogi to walk up to meet me! And because it's in the Park System no machetes and and absolutely no cutting of any kind! Tried to get through one time with rids strung what a disaster! Wouldnt want to add a staff to that!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up using the tip off a ski pole
It could have been a better easier fit, but it will do.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
RT, when you're really in 'Deep Shxt' it will make all the sense in the world. But you fish in a very different world, wait till you visit/fish mine? PNW rivers don't take 'Prisoners.' But they do kill people every year.

"Rogue River" (it got that name for a good reason) at 3,000 cfs(+) can eat you alive if you're wading beyond your knees.

How does that old line go? "There are old Pilots, and there are bold Pilots, but there are no old-bold Pilots."

I repeat myself, but if you have a fold up 'average (?)' person will deploy same after they're already in 'do-do.' Not before.

Just my .02 cents, please do keep the change.

Fred
Old 06-22-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
at 3,000 cfs(+) can eat you alive if you're wading beyond your knees.
Every day this week they've fished dead bodies out of of the local rivers
All but one was part of the "rubber hatch" (recreational tubers).
The river that I plan on fishing on Monday has dropped from just under 3000cfs yesterday to 1370 as of 2 hours ago.
If it's not below 600 by Monday I'll be float tubin' for LM bass on a local pond..... not stupid, not a beginner.