The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Folstaf repair (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/321967-folstaf-repair.html)

Rip Tide 06-11-2013 09:11 AM

Folstaf repair

Anyone one here ever recondition their own Folstaf ?
I lost my tip the other day and the cork has come unglued. The bungee was replaced once already so that's not an issue.
This thing is old. They don't even make this size anymore and if I can find something suitable for the tip I would think that it would be an easy fix without having to send it in.

fredaevans 06-11-2013 10:05 AM

Re: Folstaf repair

Chuck it and get yourself a single piece solid staff with a lead wrap on the bottom (to keep it pinned there). Length of shaft? At least to the middle of your chest as your stand 'flat footed.' Sounds long, but as you probe in front of you, you need the length.

'Mike' at 'RedShed' has them in stock (or did).:fishing:

Fred

Hardyreels 06-11-2013 10:09 AM

Hi Paul,

I have one like you are talking about, made before they introduced the longer - heavier staffs. I did have mine done but by Folstaff back in the 90's sometime. Since then I had given it to Nancy because it's more suited to her height & weight than mine.

I don't have any suggestions for a tip replacement unless they will send you one. Have you called to see if they'll send a tip?

Rip Tide 06-11-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 563614)
Have you called to see if they'll send a tip?

I emailed..... we'll see what they say

theboz 06-11-2013 12:47 PM

Thankfully my son regularly knocks the heads off his drivers! I have an endless supply of staffs! And they do the job!

mcnerney 06-11-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboz (Post 563655)
Thankfully my son regularly knocks the heads off his drivers! I have an endless supply of staffs! And they do the job!

John: I had that happen to me one time with rented clubs, it was kind of embarrasing bringing the clubs back in to the club house, but they didn't seem to mind. When it happened, it sure was a surprise to see that head go flying off the shaft. I would imagine a golf shaff would work pretty well, do you do anything special with the end?

Rip Tide 06-11-2013 02:34 PM

They won't sell me the part, but if I mail it to them they'll fix it for $24

theboz 06-11-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 563669)
John: I had that happen to me one time with rented clubs, it was kind of embarrasing bringing the clubs back in to the club house, but they didn't seem to mind. When it happened, it sure was a surprise to see that head go flying off the shaft. I would imagine a golf shaff would work pretty well, do you do anything special with the end?

Larry I think it's very common especially with these new big heads. We were in Dicks Sporting Goods at the indoor driving range where you can test drivers . He took two swings with two drivers $ 600 wrecked. We made a quick departure ! And he is a good golfer !
I put a rod butt cap on the end of the shaft and some spikes and it works quite well!

fredaevans 06-11-2013 08:04 PM

A trust me here, repeat. The fold up wading staffs are a 'death wish,' or at least go for a swim when 'events' really hit the fan. Been there, know others that have 'lived in interesting times.'

Sorry if I keep pounding on this Drum, but moving water doesn't care if you take a mis-step.

Fred

Jackster 06-11-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredaevans (Post 563741)
A trust me here, repeat. The fold up wading staffs are a 'death wish,' or at least go for a swim when 'events' really hit the fan. Been there, know others that have 'lived in interesting times.'

Sorry if I keep pounding on this Drum, but moving water doesn't care if you take a mis-step.

Fred

Having MS, I HAVE to rely on my wading staff more than ever. It's downright silly how gimpy I can get at the end of a long days wading but even when fresh 'thy rod and thy staff comforts me' and keeps me from stupid falls. I have yet to have the Folstaff fail me or even hint at being unstable or non strong enough to save my butt from errant foot placement. Maybe I'm just lucky but when I'm in the water I lose one of the major factors in keeping me upright... vision. The inner ear deal is no deal at all for me and feel is another huge factor in balance that I lack. That Folstaff is more than just a wading staff, it's the one piece of gear I just couldn't wade without even what most would consider easy wading.
Correction... two pieces of gear, the staff and the Korker Chromes I got last year. I guess I could wade with other boots and I have but the light weight, easy off-and-on and ability to quickly adjust them while standing in the river to accommodate my ever-morphing feet of the Chromes makes them hands-down the best boot for this semi-gimp.

I wax the ferrules on the Folstaff and smooth and deburr every edge of the ferrules. Not that they need the deburring touch-ups but it doesn't hurt. The double bungees, sizing to fit specific body heights and known properties of aluminum (unlike wood which can have all sorts of natural grain differences within a species) have served me reliably for a very long time.

If I seem defensive about the Folstaff it's because I am. Maybe it's like young people wondering why Granny and Gramps tended to favor Buicks over all of the other brands... could it be that 80+ years of successful and happy motoring with Buicks has something to do with it? ;)