The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 04:33 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wading Boot Laces

This question is about as mundane as they get.

The laces in my wading boots have a very short life. The originals didn't last long. The replacements from Walmart are a week old. I don't think they'll last another week.

Two things happen. The eyelets cut into them, and the gaiter hooks rub on them.

Any brands or types to recommend?

It's not that they cost much. It's just that they break at the worst times, usually.

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:40 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading Boot Laces

Quote:
Originally Posted by plecain View Post
This question is about as mundane as they get.

The laces in my wading boots have a very short life. The originals didn't last long. The replacements from Walmart are a week old. I don't think they'll last another week.

Two things happen. The eyelets cut into them, and the gaiter hooks rub on them.

Any brands or types to recommend?

It's not that they cost much. It's just that they break at the worst times, usually.

Thanks.
I use heavy duty nylon cord and pretend that it's shoelaces.
Always bring extra too

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:36 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

The nylon boot strings from REI are pretty tough... I replaced my Original boot strings with them and they have served well...
Old 06-13-2013, 01:50 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Got tired of breaking laces so i got boots with velcro straps instead of laces.
Never gone back and they save time and effort!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 06-13-2013, 02:05 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

My original laces wore out last winter (4 or 5 years old?) but I continued to use the nylon core that hadn't broke yet because I never remembered I needed new ones until I was sitting on the tailgate lacing up again!

I was in the fly shop the other day and a pair of boot laces were right under my nose! Simms replacements, of course, but I was pleased to see that they were not priced for the name...$2.99 and they are heavy duty stiff things. I expect another 4 years.
fishiowa and fredaevans like this.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I always have a pair of Simms laces laying around because that's what I find in the fly shops. I have some heavy duty nylon as well but they're way too long. When I go on a trip for more than one day, I always have an extra pair with me. The good thing about laces though is they're easy to fix in the field if they fail. It may not be perfect, and it may look ugly but you can always knot them up and keep fishing.

I've heard of guys using paracord for laces as well.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:10 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

Fly shop Simms laces. Always have one in the bag in my car. If I have one that's on the edge ready to break, I'll throw it in my pack. If one breaks on the stream, I just knot it and move on until I get back to the car where I have one waiting.

If you have a Redwing Shoe store near you, they make a pretty tough lace as well that I've used in the past. You'll get some time out of those too.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Another vote for Simms laces. From your favorite fly shop.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 PM

random user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the roughrandom user is a jewel in the rough

Laces for any style boot = P-cord.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:10 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

killer deal

Patagonia Guidewater Flat Shoe Laces - 53

good luck

casey

ARFE