The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By woodrivertroutbum
  • 3 Post By Rip Tide
  • 1 Post By mcnerney

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2013, 10:16 PM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice
Default It's not an NFO...

But it is mine and I love it just the same! Liz and I have been talking about getting a couple pontoons for a while now and after finding some small water loaded with fish and not being able to fish it, we decided to grab a couple kick boats in the mean time and then get the toons a little down the road.

I really love that if we are going away even on non fishing related trips, we can easily throw these in the back and be ready to rock and roll if we come across some good water. Same with coming across small ponds while on hikes, I am all set with carrying a canoe for miles.

Click the image to open in full size.
Joni, mcnerney and jpbfly like this.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:43 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's not an NFO...

We were recently fishing some of the remote FFO brook trout ponds in Maine.
When you hike into these places, there's invariably "piles" of old canoes stashed in the woods. (some that I wouldn't be leaving lying around, but that's just me)
For us, a basic float tube was the way to go.
Inflate, hike in, fish, hike out, deflate and into the car, then off to the next pond
Old 06-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats! It is hard to beat the versitility of a small rig like that.
woodrivertroutbum likes this.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:16 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Canoes have their place like any water craft and sure are nice for big water but a lot of the places we fish, these will be perfect. With a canoe, if the wind is in Liz's favor it is a PITA for me and vice versa. With these we can position ourselves how ever we need to and we can each fish our own spots if we want to.

Even with big water, if there are trails it is easy enough to hike to get closer to the area you want to fish. Really looking forward to getting out in them!

We also enjoy kayak fishing in the salt but man it is a pain to load and unload so I don't really use them in fresh water.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:48 AM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

Do you use flippers with these things ? Oars ? A wee little motor ?

Mike
Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM

This style you use fins with. I am still trying to decide what fins I want to get. Force fins are awesome but that is $400 for the two pair and I really don't even want to spend anywhere near that.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Check out Scuba fins. They really move you and if you lean back and flutter your feet like a swimmer, you move on the up and down stroke. I think they take less energy than FF and I have both.
There are several around here that put Minn Kotas on the V tubes. Not very hard to do but then you have to license them.

I think you are doing it right. Getting the Tubes now and later a pontoon.
I have several pontoons and found myself looking for a light weight tube for a few lakes I love.
Those Tubes would be perfect.
There are web sites out there that have some killer home made rod holders for them as well.

Sky is the limit:
Click the image to open in full size.