The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   simms pro guide waist pack on sale (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/323552-simms-pro-guide-waist-pack-sale.html)

yonder 06-28-2013 03:11 PM

simms pro guide waist pack on sale

at cabela's.........60 bucks...regularly 100.......and no, I do not work for cabela's......just saw it online.........:)

jcw355 06-28-2013 04:06 PM

Re: simms pro guide waist pack on sale

Going to buy it. Couple of things were on sale for four cents off regular price, that's funny.

spiderninja 06-28-2013 04:19 PM

Nice find. I would grab one if it were the chest/waist pack instead.

jcw355 06-29-2013 08:26 AM

Still a good find. Being a waist pack it probably doesnt have the tuckable belt feature of the chest pack/waist pack. This will be great for me for other types of fishing other than trout.

drgreen 06-30-2013 12:34 PM

I purchased this from Cabela's when it was $70. The waist belt does tuck away so you can use it as a sling pack or just to get the belt out of the way when storing, hauling in the truck etc. I finally got a chance to use it Friday while wading. I was concerned about dunking it but never got that deep. It will hold quite a bit and I packed it, I was able to get the belt tight enough that it didn't bounce or sag too much. The only problem with this was it was a little too tight to spin around to get into it. I started with it behind be and ended up leaving it at my left side. It never really got in my way and getting my fly boxes out was not a problem. Getting at leaders or other things may take a little more fiddling but generally when you are getting at that you are taking more time that simply switching flies. I think it will end up working out good and I definitely did not miss my vest.

jcw355 07-01-2013 05:07 AM

Well having the tuckable belt is a plus then.

comeonavs 07-01-2013 08:59 PM

I have one of these and it's a love hate thing. I don't love it but also don't hate it enough to buy something different.

Pros
1) light and comfortable
2) holds surprisingly large amount of gear
3) Very durable

Cons
1) I have a hard time with my carabiner / magnetic net holder set up. It's always in the way
2) wish it had water bottle pouch like the fishpond ones
3) wish it had built in bungee / gadget holders

All in all I like it ok

jcw355 07-02-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comeonavs (Post 568776)
I have one of these and it's a love hate thing. I don't love it but also don't hate it enough to buy something different.

Pros
1) light and comfortable
2) holds surprisingly large amount of gear
3) Very durable

Cons
1) I have a hard time with my carabiner / magnetic net holder set up. It's always in the way
2) wish it had water bottle pouch like the fishpond ones
3) wish it had built in bungee / gadget holders

All in all I like it ok

I got a water bottle holder from the camping section at walmart, should fit on the belt

comeonavs 07-02-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcw355 (Post 568847)
I got a water bottle holder from the camping section at walmart, should fit on the belt

Hahaha ok sometimes the answers are right in front of your face:frogdance

I never even thought of that.....I feel sort of dumb now

trout champ 07-03-2013 10:57 AM

The only problem with buying gear on sale...

Next year's model will be bigger and better...

Randy