The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:05 AM

stoneyclove will become famous soon enough
Default Patagonia SST

I've had a Patagonia SST Jacket for about 10 years. I think it's the best piece of gear I ever bought. I wear it all the time and it has never leaked. Over the years though from wearing it over vests, packs and waders, the seams on the front were beginning to wear thin. I love this jacket and having it so long I emailed Patagonia and asked them if the seams could be repaired?

A nice lady got back to me quickly and said " Yes! Send it to us and we'll re-tape it and there's no charge" I mailed it in the next day, and had it mailed back to me 10 days later. All new seams in the areas where they were needed. My jacket is better than ever it was and I'm delighted.

I just thought I'd mention it, because they treated me like an all-star.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:23 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Patagonia SST

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyclove View Post
I've had a Patagonia SST Jacket for about 10 years. I think it's the best piece of gear I ever bought. I wear it all the time and it has never leaked. Over the years though from wearing it over vests, packs and waders, the seams on the front were beginning to wear thin. I love this jacket and having it so long I emailed Patagonia and asked them if the seams could be repaired?

A nice lady got back to me quickly and said " Yes! Send it to us and we'll re-tape it and there's no charge" I mailed it in the next day, and had it mailed back to me 10 days later. All new seams in the areas where they were needed. My jacket is better than ever it was and I'm delighted.

That Patagonia warranty is a big reason my daughters wore that brand when they were kids. The youngest didn't know or care she was wearing her sis's hand-me-downs until either she was old enough to understand or her sister blabbed.
The warranty is another reason a had Patagonia foul weather gear when I raced boats. Some non-skid decks can erase any fabric with time.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:21 PM

Gerard will become famous soon enoughGerard will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneyclove View Post

Many thanks for the info. Very good to know as I have a 10-12 year old SST which might need some work on it's seams. I don't think their current Jackets are anywhere near as good as the older SSTs...particularly the ones with the "water proof zips".
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 AM

missin44 is on a distinguished road

That's why I buy Patagonia instead of Simms. Their customer service is like no other.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 AM

fq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of lightfq13 is a glorious beacon of light

My favorite shirt ever is one of their old guide shirts. Its a synthetic hunter green long sleeve button down, about the weight of canvas. I bought the thing when I was working at an outfitters back in college. In retrospect, I wish I'd bought ten. The thing is built like a tank. One unique feature is that the front buttons are tied in not with thread, but with a thin piece of webbing that runs down the front. You'll never lose one. It was expensive. I paid about eighty bucks for it back in 1989. But I have worn the hell out of that thing, camping, fishing, hunting, I even played paintball in it a couple of times and 25 years later it still looks brand new and good enough to go out to dinner in. If they were to offer it again I'd pony up for whatever they charged, as how many other shirts can you say will give you 25 years of hard use and still look good? Patagonia, Marmot and Filson are my go to companies for no bullsh@t serious gear.