The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jackster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 08:43 AM

flymoron is on a distinguished road
Default Good line treatment?

I have a few fly lines but they are old/dirty and I have never used a cleaner/treatment before could someone suggest a product?

thanks
Old 07-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Good line treatment?

First off, wash your lines off in warm water and a mild dish soap, let dry. Then I use the RIO line conditioner, not sure if it is any better or worse than any of the other brands.

Larry
Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 AM

tbum2020 is on a distinguished road

I clean with a product called "Goop" and finish with Glide Line Dressing.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
First off, wash your lines off in warm water and a mild dish soap, let dry. Then I use the RIO line conditioner, not sure if it is any better or worse than any of the other brands.
I pretty much do that. I have used Glide, Scientific Anglers, and Rio dressings. All of them produce nice, slick lines.

Dennis
Old 07-04-2013, 10:32 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I'm not sure I can name a real fly line dressing that is bad. There is one that was all the rage for a while but it was a concoction probably made in someone's kitchen. The label looked home made anyhow. It did sloicken the line but wore off almost as fast as it took to apply it.
Stick with real name brand fly line treatments and you should be good.
As mcnerney said though, clean them before treating them if you can. No sense in trapping dirt and scum under the treatment.

Another point. Some lines have the slickness built right in all the way to the core. With these lines a swipe or two with the 3M/SA gray sided pads brings a fresh, dry surface to the top. Being dry like a brand new line it won't attract more dirt and scum as readily. SA with AST, Rio with their finish and Wulff with their J3 finish are such lines.
Hardyreels likes this.