The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Wader advice: Orvis Silver Sonic (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/325079-wader-advice-orvis-silver-sonic.html)

dhaynes 07-14-2013 09:01 AM

Wader advice: Orvis Silver Sonic

Need to replace my waders.... I am seriously considering the Orvis Silver Sonic waders. Would appreciate any feedback, reviews, or comparisons.

Thanks

jaybo41 07-14-2013 09:45 AM

Re: Wader advice: Orvis Silver Sonic

I have no experience with the Silver Sonics but I'm fairly certain a number of members do. I do however, have the Sonic Seam chest high version. They're very comfortable and seem durable enough, but they are not my primary wader. I use them in the warmer temps and as a backup. They pack down incredibly small making them ideal for travel. Orvis wader repair and CS has been very good in my experience.

This is worth a read, but as with any opinion and in particular these Shootouts, take it with a grain of salt.

2013 Wader Shootout - Yellowstone Angler

MoscaPescador 07-14-2013 10:27 AM

I do not have any experience with the Orvis Silver Sonic waders, however, I have been using the Redington Sonic Pro Zip waders since they were released. I will comment that the Sonic welding technology is very durable. I have put well over 100 days on my waders and not had a seam leak.

Dennis

mikel 07-14-2013 10:39 AM

I'm 3 yrs into a pair...generally wear them waist hi while wading and chest hi in my tube. Not sure how many days I have in them, but well over 100 certainly. No leaks, no issues. I find them comfortable, pretty easy on and off...if you like the idea of convertible waders, these do a nice job.

I got mine on sale and with a coupon...if you're not on Orvis mailing list sign up and you can likely save a few $$$.

I layer up pretty good in winter and they remain comfy with some warm stuff underneath.

Only possible issue I see with them is the gravel guards suck as they are not tight to your boots, but that hasn't caused me an problem.

edit: I read a little of the shootout and would agree with the write up they did. These waders are lighter than the hi dollar Simms (so maybe not for heavy bushwhacking in berry country) but I find them very easy to wear and comfortable. As I said above, I got mine for some $$$ off, but at the reg price they still look like a relative bargain, unless you're really into heavy bushwhacking...-Mike

dhaynes 07-17-2013 07:06 PM

Thanks for all the info... couldn't find the right ones in local shops so I ended up getting them from a Missoula outfitter with an ebay store... free shipping too! Anxious to try them out.

runningfish 07-18-2013 11:00 AM

I have a pair and only had them on 3 times in the last winter.
I really like them, they are light, no leaks so far, dry very quickly, I had to go through some bushes to wade and so far the waders are just fine, the transparent waterproof bag is very nice, I didn't need to take it out to check mails, to receive calls or to make calls all I have to do is to put on my bluetooth ear piece and dial the numbers while the phone is in it.

One thing that you might not like is that there is no zipper for a quick pee.

My sizing suggestion is to follow the sizing chart, I had to return the first pair because I followed the customer service personal suggestion to go from Small to Medium size.

Overall, I really like it, I don't know about the durability yet.

troutchaser8 07-18-2013 02:05 PM

I have had mine for about 2 months and they have held up and performed very well. They are very breathable, light, and comfortable.

almonde 07-18-2013 05:29 PM

Had mine since last November, so far so good. I really like them. Breathable and light. The convertible suspension is really good.