The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaybo41

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 09:01 AM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice
Default Wader advice: Orvis Silver Sonic

Need to replace my waders.... I am seriously considering the Orvis Silver Sonic waders. Would appreciate any feedback, reviews, or comparisons.

Thanks
Old 07-14-2013, 09:45 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wader advice: Orvis Silver Sonic

I have no experience with the Silver Sonics but I'm fairly certain a number of members do. I do however, have the Sonic Seam chest high version. They're very comfortable and seem durable enough, but they are not my primary wader. I use them in the warmer temps and as a backup. They pack down incredibly small making them ideal for travel. Orvis wader repair and CS has been very good in my experience.

This is worth a read, but as with any opinion and in particular these Shootouts, take it with a grain of salt.

2013 Wader Shootout - Yellowstone Angler
fredaevans likes this.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:27 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I do not have any experience with the Orvis Silver Sonic waders, however, I have been using the Redington Sonic Pro Zip waders since they were released. I will comment that the Sonic welding technology is very durable. I have put well over 100 days on my waders and not had a seam leak.

Dennis
Old 07-14-2013, 10:39 AM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I'm 3 yrs into a pair...generally wear them waist hi while wading and chest hi in my tube. Not sure how many days I have in them, but well over 100 certainly. No leaks, no issues. I find them comfortable, pretty easy on and off...if you like the idea of convertible waders, these do a nice job.

I got mine on sale and with a coupon...if you're not on Orvis mailing list sign up and you can likely save a few $$$.

I layer up pretty good in winter and they remain comfy with some warm stuff underneath.

Only possible issue I see with them is the gravel guards suck as they are not tight to your boots, but that hasn't caused me an problem.

edit: I read a little of the shootout and would agree with the write up they did. These waders are lighter than the hi dollar Simms (so maybe not for heavy bushwhacking in berry country) but I find them very easy to wear and comfortable. As I said above, I got mine for some $$$ off, but at the reg price they still look like a relative bargain, unless you're really into heavy bushwhacking...-Mike

Last edited by mikel; 07-14-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:06 PM

dhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nicedhaynes is just really nice

Thanks for all the info... couldn't find the right ones in local shops so I ended up getting them from a Missoula outfitter with an ebay store... free shipping too! Anxious to try them out.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:00 AM

runningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of lightrunningfish is a glorious beacon of light

I have a pair and only had them on 3 times in the last winter.
I really like them, they are light, no leaks so far, dry very quickly, I had to go through some bushes to wade and so far the waders are just fine, the transparent waterproof bag is very nice, I didn't need to take it out to check mails, to receive calls or to make calls all I have to do is to put on my bluetooth ear piece and dial the numbers while the phone is in it.

One thing that you might not like is that there is no zipper for a quick pee.

My sizing suggestion is to follow the sizing chart, I had to return the first pair because I followed the customer service personal suggestion to go from Small to Medium size.

Overall, I really like it, I don't know about the durability yet.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM

troutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nicetroutchaser8 is just really nice

I have had mine for about 2 months and they have held up and performed very well. They are very breathable, light, and comfortable.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:29 PM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough

Had mine since last November, so far so good. I really like them. Breathable and light. The convertible suspension is really good.