The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By caseywise
  • 2 Post By mudbug

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2013, 09:46 PM

fireroad is on a distinguished road
Default Streamer fly box recomendations

Looking for recommendations on good fly box designs for salmon/steelhead streamers. I haven't fished a whole lot of big bugs or streamer patterns so I usually just keep them in the freebie container from the fly shop. I'll be going to Alaska for silvers and chums this fall so I'll need to setup a full streamer box. I keep my trout boxes as small and trip specific as possible and lately have been switching out to the Morrell foam boxes. Anyone have a box design they are particularly fond of?
Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Streamer fly box recomendations

i really like the cliff bugger barn boxes.
very well made and perfect for large flies.
i have a couple for all kinds of my bigger flies

Click the image to open in full size.

great box for what you need.

casey
almonde likes this.

ARFE
Old 07-19-2013, 12:04 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

THIS plus $1 in foam from a craft store and you can make your own Bugger Barn.
mcnerney and ghocevar like this.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:20 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

looks good mud
will do or sure.

ARFE
Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just curious what part of AK. you'll be visiting because the chums are pouring in right now................. I was looking at thousands just today. By fall they will be kaput. Silvers will still be entering in fall but are beginning to show now and will continue through September and later in some rivers but not all.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i really like the cliff bugger barn boxes.
very well made and perfect for large flies.
i have a couple for all kinds of my bigger flies
casey
Thanks Casey, that just about what I'm looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Just curious what part of AK. you'll be visiting because the chums are pouring in right now................. I was looking at thousands just today. By fall they will be kaput. Silvers will still be entering in fall but are beginning to show now and will continue through September and later in some rivers but not all.

Ard
We will be in Kah Sheets Bay area the last 9 days of August. The buddy I am going with has been there before around the same time and it's been the end of the chums/beginning of the silvers.

If you know a website I can get good up-to date reports on that area that would be great!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Give me a rivers name in the region and I'll see what I can find, then I'll send the link if there is one.

Already did some looking; no data available for that bay or its watersheds.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 07-19-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-20-2013, 01:22 PM

almonde will become famous soon enoughalmonde will become famous soon enough

I 2nd the Bugger Barn, i used one as my bonefish box for Belize. Seems ideally suited for flies in that 4-10 size range. Also it fits in my standard Orvis sling pack (non-guide edition)
Old 09-26-2013, 06:19 AM

UPDATE: I decided to go with the majority and get a Bugger Barn. Since I was headed to the local fly shop anyway I decided to give them the business. As usual I waited until the last minute they were out of the BB, and the only suitable box left in stock was the Cliff's Pink. The Pink is basically a downsized version of the BB...in pink! This turned out to be a blessing in disguise as the size was perfect for my waist pack and plenty big enough for flies I needed (we had the trip pretty dialed in).

I plan on re-purposing the box for winter streamers and picking up a BB for still water buggers and bait-fish patterns. Eventually I'll post a pic of the two side by side.