The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Essential fly fishing gear/accessories.

I've went from carrying the works to carrying very little.

When I fished dry flies a lot:

1. The essential flies ( for the stream or region) carried in a small compartment box.
2. An extra leader and a spool of 6 & 7 X tippet
3. Dry fly powder by Shimizoki and a container of Froggs Fanny also. These 2 used together work great.
4. Nippers
5. Ziess 10 X 25 B mini binoculars for observation (fish - birds - & etc)
6. Knife
7. Forceps

For Streamer fishing I got the gear trimmed down also.

1. Streamer wallet filled with feather wings
2. A spool of 10 pound leader material (I use level leaders for streamer fishing)
3. Nippers
4. Knife
5. Forceps
6. Polarized glasses
7. 10 X 25 Ziess for general observations

Now I fish for trout - salmon - grayling & charand the gear for this is the same as the streamer kit. All the fishing is with streamers and large salmon (wet flies) and the leader material is either 10 pound for all but salmon which I use 15 pound Maxima Ultra Green for.

Pretty simple nowadays,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-21-2013, 01:03 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

fav rod n' reel
my well used spyderco knife
leatherman multi tool
bug dope, i like the spray
nippers, loon,walgreens or abel
hemostats or pliers. i like
flask o booz lol
more tippet than you think you need.
plus some you'll never use,,,,,

c
Hardyreels likes this.

ARFE
Old 08-21-2013, 02:36 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Essential fly fishing gear/accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
I don't know where everyone fishes but around here I keep a knife that is easily accessible. Reason being old trot lines or some monofilament in the water. I keep a cheap one clipped to my vest or wader strap and not in my pocket down in my waders. I've been swimming before and got into some old mono, you cannot get enough leverage to break it unless its very light. Just a thought.
Oh so very true. Years back Rich Henry was giving us RV campers a fishing lesson (large group) and one of his demo's was a standard rod/level wind reel loaded with 10# Maxima line. Thumb clamped down on the spool and 20'ish foot of line off the reel.

"Break the line."

None of us even got close ... well one guy. Ex Pro football player clocking in at something like 280 pounds and 6'6" sort of thing. He didn't break the line but he did pull the rod right out of Rich's hands.

Great "Pot Luck" dinner followed and God did we all laugh!

fae
Old 08-21-2013, 07:35 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by okbow68 View Post
I don't know where everyone fishes but around here I keep a knife that is easily accessible. Reason being old trot lines or some monofilament in the water. I keep a cheap one clipped to my vest or wader strap and not in my pocket down in my waders. I've been swimming before and got into some old mono, you cannot get enough leverage to break it unless its very light. Just a thought.
I'm with Fred, you nailed it on the knife. I've been tangled up in line from the gear guys while steelhead fishing on the Clearwater, and their lines are more like wire these days.

The gear I carry changes between lake, stream and steelhead fishing. But in addition to the good knife I always carry in my breast pocket, I carry a pair of nippers and an old Abel perfect tool around my neck on a lanyard. The knife plus the lanyard with the nippers and perfect tool go into my wader pocket at the end of every day so I always know where they are. A few years ago I would have also said the flip-down magnifiers, but I finally broke down and use bifocal sunglasses!