The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 07:41 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road
Default Essential fly fishing gear/accessories.

Hi.

What is your list of must have fly fishing gear/accessories in your vest or back pack?

Kim.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:21 AM
mridenour

Default Re: Essential fly fishing gear/accessories.

Well, I have to have nippers since the groove in my teeth from biting line is too big to cut small tippet anymore. A box of flies. Tippet and maybe an extra leader. I usually have my net.

Other things I usually carry are hemostats, floatant, strike indicators and split shot. Anything else is not too necessary.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 AM

trout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to beholdtrout trekker is a splendid one to behold

Nippers, File & Tying Scissors. All the other items that come and go from my packs are fishery / destination specific.

TT
troutnut4 likes this.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 AM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Bug spray. Head nets. Cutters strong enough to cut fish hooks out of your fingers. 'Space blanket' mylar covering.

If cell phones work where you're going, then carry one.

Last edited by plecain; 08-14-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 AM

krikau27 is on a distinguished road

Destination specific equipment is also welcome to be listed

Kim.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:12 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Have a short group of tools than attach to my shirt. The most important (never used, Thank God) is a yellow 'Police Whistle.' If you get into physical trouble no one is going to hear you 'yell for help.' A whistle you can hear a looooong way!
oarfish and troutnut4 like this.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:20 AM

wasagawader is on a distinguished road

I am new to fly fishing so I am adding and subtracting stuff regularly.

I use the orvis sling pack so I have a little more room than a vest
2 fly boxes
1 nipper
extra leaders
3x, 4x and 5x tippet
floatant
strike indicator
bug spray
hemostat
leatherman tool
Old 08-14-2013, 09:51 AM

troutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to alltroutnut4 is a name known to all

A lot less than when I wore a vest. Now a waist/sling pack with flies, extra leaders (furled, thanks to CutThroat and Joni) extra tippet, a good set of nippers (inexpensive nail clippers) and my reading glasses, without them I can't tie a fly on. Oh, did I mention a net!
Eddie O'Neill likes this.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutnut4 View Post
and my reading glasses, without them I can't tie a fly on.
Ain't that the truth..... I've started carrying 2 pairs, just in case
oarfish likes this.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:55 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

No matter the type of fishing, I've gotten into the habit of carrying nippers, hemostats and/or long nose pliers, a multi tool Swiss Army knife and some other type of knife. I have several small pocket knives & several stationary blade knives. Depending on where I'm going & what I'm doing will dictate the knives I'll carry. I also always carry a sharpening stone or file for hooks & the knives.

Fred, that whistle is a great idea. I've read that before, but never obtained one.

Other items I feel are essentials are sunglasses, and a proper hat. Sunscreen or appropriate clothing should be essential depending on the conditions. Skin cancer is no joke!

IMO, spools of line (tippet or otherwise) & spare leaders are essential but should not be something you have to decide on or not.

If you fish the surf or big water from a boat or wading, a good stripping basket can be essential, but that would likely be situation dependent. They can get in the way too.

I'm the opposite with glasses. Mine have bi-focals built in, but frankly I can see great up close. My sight becomes an issue beyond about 3 ft.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!