The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree58Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

Just for jollies, here is the net I plan to NEVER use again. It's nylon mesh, lightweight, and has worked well to dip a fine fish from the water.

BUT, I'm sick of fighting to unsnag hooks from the mesh. I'm in the market for a replacement; thus, I'm reading this thread with interest. BTW, I like the MeasureNets (pics above) with inches indicated right on the net!
It looks like a pretty big bag on your net. I've found that size matters when there is a fish twisting and flopping in the bag. Your net looks like the same mesh as one of mine and a small fish gets wrapped up badly, large fish are better because they don't have so much room to squirm around.

I have a rubber net now also and they are better at not hooking the fly. however the mesh like yours makes it way easier to hold a fish while removing the hook so it's half dozen to one and six to the other..........

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Me thinks there may be a good story lurking here JPB, how did you loose the net?

Dave
Sorry no good storyI realized that I had lost my net early in afternoon....still had it at snack breakI fell twice so I guess I didn't notice the coiled tether wasn't fixed on my vestand the net must have gone in the stream....The day after I went back to the same place and spent hours....wading and walking on the banks but couldn't find my net
Old 08-23-2013, 03:28 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post

Just for jollies, here is the net I plan to NEVER use again. It's nylon mesh, lightweight, and has worked well to dip a fine fish from the water.

BUT, I'm sick of fighting to unsnag hooks from the mesh. I'm in the market for a replacement; thus, I'm reading this thread with interest. BTW, I like the MeasureNets (pics above) with inches indicated right on the net!
Chechem, I have a Blue Ribbon Net in the "catch and release" style, i.e. like the one JP showed on his back in his picture with a clear plastic bag. I've been thinking about selling it because I really want one of those ugly composite framed things like Ard has. Blue Ribbon are hand made in Bozeman, it's a good net, just a year old. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture and negotiate a price.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 PM

chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It looks like a pretty big bag on your net. I've found that size matters when there is a fish twisting and flopping in the bag. Your net looks like the same mesh as one of mine and a small fish gets wrapped up badly, large fish are better because they don't have so much room to squirm around.

I have a rubber net now also and they are better at not hooking the fly. however the mesh like yours makes it way easier to hold a fish while removing the hook so it's half dozen to one and six to the other..........
Thanks. I don't think the bag is too big. As you said, it has its advantages. But almost every other fish I net gets the hook caught in the mesh. I've started just clipping the line with nail clippers right away, then release the fish and fight the hook. I fish with bent-down barbs too; still a hassle.

Yeah, I could see where the mesh makes the fish easier to handle. Hmmm.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Chechem, I have a Blue Ribbon Net in the "catch and release" style, i.e. like the one JP showed on his back in his picture with a clear plastic bag. I've been thinking about selling it because I really want one of those ugly composite framed things like Ard has. Blue Ribbon are hand made in Bozeman, it's a good net, just a year old. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture and negotiate a price.
I checked out the photo of JP's net, but I don't think I want that shape. But thanks for the thoughtful offer.

I may buy the rubber mesh and use the frame I have now. I'll need to ponder this first. No more trips to the river for a month yet, so I have time.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I have a similar story as posted above; I can watch a video of my net slowly drifting out of sight as my son let it go after netting my salmon
However it gave me excuse to buy a nicer C&R folding Frabill net which I'm sure the fish appreciate as well
baseman1 likes this.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I have a similar story as posted above; I can watch a video of my net slowly drifting out of sight as my son let it go after netting my salmon
However it gave me excuse to buy a nicer C&R folding Frabill net which I'm sure the fish appreciate as well
LOL. Maybe I'll just walk creek banks instead of buying a net.
jb1023 likes this.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 AM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

My net is a beautiful work of art by Greg at Sierra Nets. He uses a lot of beautiful woods, hoops are strong with up to 7 layers on them. He is a great guy to deal with.

baseman1 likes this.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 08-25-2013, 08:04 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

This is my Stephens handcrafted net that I use most. The picture if from their website. I chose the black rubber but they will do a ghost net for same price. Net is slightly deeper than appears in the photo.

baseman1 likes this.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

This is a little birds eye maple one piece net I made. I wanted a small net for brookies. Works prety good.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
This is a little birds eye maple one piece net I made. I wanted a small net for brookies. Works prety good.

WOW. Well done.
noreaster likes this.