The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree58Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2013, 01:34 PM
Hardyreels's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
Posts: 12,006
Blog Entries: 70
Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

Just for jollies, here is the net I plan to NEVER use again. It's nylon mesh, lightweight, and has worked well to dip a fine fish from the water.

BUT, I'm sick of fighting to unsnag hooks from the mesh. I'm in the market for a replacement; thus, I'm reading this thread with interest. BTW, I like the MeasureNets (pics above) with inches indicated right on the net!
It looks like a pretty big bag on your net. I've found that size matters when there is a fish twisting and flopping in the bag. Your net looks like the same mesh as one of mine and a small fish gets wrapped up badly, large fish are better because they don't have so much room to squirm around.

I have a rubber net now also and they are better at not hooking the fly. however the mesh like yours makes it way easier to hold a fish while removing the hook so it's half dozen to one and six to the other..........
__________________
Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2013, 02:37 PM
jpbfly's Avatar
Super Moderator

 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Languedoc/near montpellier
Posts: 5,308
Blog Entries: 5
jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
Me thinks there may be a good story lurking here JPB, how did you loose the net?

Dave
Sorry no good storyI realized that I had lost my net early in afternoon....still had it at snack breakI fell twice so I guess I didn't notice the coiled tether wasn't fixed on my vestand the net must have gone in the stream....The day after I went back to the same place and spent hours....wading and walking on the banks but couldn't find my net
__________________
JPClick the image to open in full size.http://guidepechemouche.fr/
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2013, 03:28 PM
dean_mt's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Western Montana
Posts: 3,152
dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechem View Post
Click the image to open in full size.

Just for jollies, here is the net I plan to NEVER use again. It's nylon mesh, lightweight, and has worked well to dip a fine fish from the water.

BUT, I'm sick of fighting to unsnag hooks from the mesh. I'm in the market for a replacement; thus, I'm reading this thread with interest. BTW, I like the MeasureNets (pics above) with inches indicated right on the net!
Chechem, I have a Blue Ribbon Net in the "catch and release" style, i.e. like the one JP showed on his back in his picture with a clear plastic bag. I've been thinking about selling it because I really want one of those ugly composite framed things like Ard has. Blue Ribbon are hand made in Bozeman, it's a good net, just a year old. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture and negotiate a price.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2013, 07:39 PM
chechem's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: northern Mississippi
Posts: 401
chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
It looks like a pretty big bag on your net. I've found that size matters when there is a fish twisting and flopping in the bag. Your net looks like the same mesh as one of mine and a small fish gets wrapped up badly, large fish are better because they don't have so much room to squirm around.

I have a rubber net now also and they are better at not hooking the fly. however the mesh like yours makes it way easier to hold a fish while removing the hook so it's half dozen to one and six to the other..........
Thanks. I don't think the bag is too big. As you said, it has its advantages. But almost every other fish I net gets the hook caught in the mesh. I've started just clipping the line with nail clippers right away, then release the fish and fight the hook. I fish with bent-down barbs too; still a hassle.

Yeah, I could see where the mesh makes the fish easier to handle. Hmmm.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
Chechem, I have a Blue Ribbon Net in the "catch and release" style, i.e. like the one JP showed on his back in his picture with a clear plastic bag. I've been thinking about selling it because I really want one of those ugly composite framed things like Ard has. Blue Ribbon are hand made in Bozeman, it's a good net, just a year old. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture and negotiate a price.
I checked out the photo of JP's net, but I don't think I want that shape. But thanks for the thoughtful offer.

I may buy the rubber mesh and use the frame I have now. I'll need to ponder this first. No more trips to the river for a month yet, so I have time.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 PM
wannafish's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 694
wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

I have a similar story as posted above; I can watch a video of my net slowly drifting out of sight as my son let it go after netting my salmon
However it gave me excuse to buy a nicer C&R folding Frabill net which I'm sure the fish appreciate as well
baseman1 likes this.
__________________
"I cast my hook into a single stream; but my pleasure is as if I owned a kingdom." - Chi K'ang (223-262)
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 08-24-2013, 05:49 AM
chechem's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: northern Mississippi
Posts: 401
chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
I have a similar story as posted above; I can watch a video of my net slowly drifting out of sight as my son let it go after netting my salmon
However it gave me excuse to buy a nicer C&R folding Frabill net which I'm sure the fish appreciate as well
LOL. Maybe I'll just walk creek banks instead of buying a net.
jb1023 likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 108
rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

My net is a beautiful work of art by Greg at Sierra Nets. He uses a lot of beautiful woods, hoops are strong with up to 7 layers on them. He is a great guy to deal with.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1 likes this.
__________________
Rasputinj

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 08-25-2013, 08:04 PM
fly_guy12955's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: southwest , Virginia
Posts: 1,913
fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

This is my Stephens handcrafted net that I use most. The picture if from their website. I chose the black rubber but they will do a ghost net for same price. Net is slightly deeper than appears in the photo.

Click the image to open in full size.
baseman1 likes this.
__________________
I find my meal by finding my meal's meal.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2013, 04:49 AM
noreaster's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Posts: 860
noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

This is a little birds eye maple one piece net I made. I wanted a small net for brookies. Works prety good.

Click the image to open in full size.
__________________
"Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:27 AM
chechem's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: northern Mississippi
Posts: 401
chechem has a spectacular aura aboutchechem has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Show Us Your Nets

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreaster View Post
This is a little birds eye maple one piece net I made. I wanted a small net for brookies. Works prety good.

Click the image to open in full size.
WOW. Well done.
noreaster likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'll show you mine if you show me yours (fly boxes) wovenstonefly Flies and Fly Tying for Spey Fishing 3 02-04-2011 03:37 PM
Nets flyfisher45 General Discussion 4 11-09-2009 09:02 PM
Nets FISHN50 Coldwater Fly Fishing 25 07-08-2009 08:16 PM
Nets patio87 General Discussion 9 03-05-2008 09:34 PM
Nets?? larrysmith9865 The Lodge Den 1 02-12-2008 02:56 PM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.