Show Us Your Nets

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
For years I have been using a MeasureNet, the one that has the inches marked in the net bag, so there are no more naysayers regarding how big that fish really was :D .

Recently a friend came in to my office and showed me a few net frames he had recently made and I got excited about building a new wooden net. We collaborated on the wood and the size, and I was able to find a clear net bag (appears to be the same bag used by Brodin and some others) from Jann's NetCraft online. I had him add about 4 inches to the handle so I could use the net out of my pontoon boat.

My buddy also does scroll saw work so I had him cut a Parasol Emerger fly in the top of the handle. I did all the final shaping, sanding and finishing. I'm not sure I like the teardrop shape, so we are now discussing making a jig to make a more rounded bow on the final product.

Still, the finished product looks quite good and I was able to use the net several times last week to net some beautiful cutts we fooled while on vacation in the Island Park, ID area.

Here is what I used to use, which is a very good net for the money:

And, here's the new net:

Now, show us your nets and tell us why you prefer that particular net...

Kelly.

shotgunfly

Reaction score
Nice work on the net and nice fish.

I used to use a wooden Brodin, loved the styling and size. But a guide told me that getting a net with a wider head would make landing easier and it has.

I haven't used it much because I switched over to a carbon fiber net from nomad fly fishing. Even with the larger net and longer handle it weighs just about as much as the Brodin.

Currently looking for an even LONGER net...for kayaking/boating and those spots where I've lost fish for where a little reach would have definitely helped.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Good thread topic Kelly! I don't have any photos of nets when not in use but here are the 3 I use.

First, a no-name net with a cloth mesh bag and 13 X 10 hoop. It is deep and has a total length of 28". It makes a good trout net when using short rods.

Second; this is the smallest of the Brodin C&R nets. It is a late 80's I believe, this was made before they offered rubber nets and has the cloth bag.

A new Nomad Guide Net, 13 X 18" hoop and a 48" total length made of carbon fiber. It works good for netting fish for others or when using the long rods. I carry it tucked in the back of the waders under the belt, very light, almost unnoticeable when carried.

I'm adding one more, just ordered the Brodin Excalibur for steelhead and silvers.

These are the specs:

•53" overall length
•16" by 22" hoop
•Lightweight thermoplastic net bag
•Teak handle for durability and light weight

I'll post a picture of it in use soon I hope.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score

This is a terrible looking photograph...why post it on-line? Here is the story. Fishing a sulpher emergence near dark, my wife stuck a nice rainbow. I waded down toward her from above and our friend waded up to her from downstream. Converging, I netted the fish for her, detached it from my vest mounted Gear Keeper and handed it to Steve. Stepping back and preparing my Nikon for a flash photo, they posed with the rainbow as I fired a few frames then they released the fish. "May I have my net back, please?", I inquired. I don't have it they each replied. On the computer in Photoshop, I drastically overexposed the image of the two of them to open up what is blackness in the image correctly exposed to illustrate them and the trout. Look on the water between them...that is my untethered net floating downstream. After the fish was released and my displeasure at the loss of my net was expressed, my wife commenced to reel in her line dangling below when she felt some resistance. The fly on her tippet and the net had followed the same current and THE #18 DRY FLY HOOKED THE MESH OF THE NET which she reeled back upstream and retrieved!

Now I favor the most advanced technology and hippest design in my rods and reels but I am sentimental about landing net aesthetics. Mine is a beaver tail, laminated hoop with a cord wrapped handle and leather attachment loop. An old fashioned, hand crafted Catskill design. Most importantly, the net bag is hand knotted of soft, green cord in a tight, fish mandible and gill protecting traditional net design...nearly impossible to find today in an era of machine woven or now plastic net bags.

Next year there will be a better rod and reel introduced than any I fish today but not a better net.

chechem

Reaction score

Just for jollies, here is the net I plan to NEVER use again. It's nylon mesh, lightweight, and has worked well to dip a fine fish from the water.

BUT, I'm sick of fighting to unsnag hooks from the mesh. I'm in the market for a replacement; thus, I'm reading this thread with interest. BTW, I like the MeasureNets (pics above) with inches indicated right on the net!

Last edited:

Jackster

Reaction score
There once was a net maker in Hawaii who by all rights should still be doing that. He used the finest local woods and fashioned some of the most handsome nets I've ever laid eyes on. He offered many wood combinations and styles of nets and crafted them beautifully. He has 7 layers of wood on the hoops and all of the nets underwent the W.E.S.T. epoxy technique.
Tropical Lightning nets are as strong, lightweight and beautiful as any wood net available and then some. I wish that builder would get back in the groove but last I heard he moved to California and vanished.

Throat and logo...

Overall...

Hebgen gulper in a Tropical Lightning...

jcw355

Reaction score
I just got that same net to replace mine. Got it from the same place as well.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
A few years back I restored my grandfather's vintage Ed Cummings net and gave it to my sister for her birthday.
Recently I found it on the floor of their garage, ruined.
Not happy :mad:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score

Just for jollies, here is the net I plan to NEVER use again. It's nylon mesh, lightweight, and has worked well to dip a fine fish from the water.

BUT, I'm sick of fighting to unsnag hooks from the mesh. I'm in the market for a replacement; thus, I'm reading this thread with interest. BTW, I like the MeasureNets (pics above) with inches indicated right on the net!
It looks like a pretty big bag on your net. I've found that size matters when there is a fish twisting and flopping in the bag. Your net looks like the same mesh as one of mine and a small fish gets wrapped up badly, large fish are better because they don't have so much room to squirm around.

I have a rubber net now also and they are better at not hooking the fly. however the mesh like yours makes it way easier to hold a fish while removing the hook so it's half dozen to one and six to the other..........

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Me thinks there may be a good story lurking here JPB, how did you loose the net? :confused:

Dave
Sorry no good story:eek:I realized that I had lost my net early in afternoon....still had it at snack break:confused:I fell twice so I guess I didn't notice the coiled tether wasn't fixed on my vest:(and the net must have gone in the stream....The day after I went back to the same place and spent hours....wading and walking on the banks but couldn't find my net:icon_sad:

dean_mt

Reaction score

Chechem, I have a Blue Ribbon Net in the "catch and release" style, i.e. like the one JP showed on his back in his picture with a clear plastic bag. I've been thinking about selling it because I really want one of those ugly composite framed things like Ard has. Blue Ribbon are hand made in Bozeman, it's a good net, just a year old. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture and negotiate a price.

chechem

Reaction score
It looks like a pretty big bag on your net. I've found that size matters when there is a fish twisting and flopping in the bag. Your net looks like the same mesh as one of mine and a small fish gets wrapped up badly, large fish are better because they don't have so much room to squirm around.

I have a rubber net now also and they are better at not hooking the fly. however the mesh like yours makes it way easier to hold a fish while removing the hook so it's half dozen to one and six to the other..........
Thanks. I don't think the bag is too big. As you said, it has its advantages. But almost every other fish I net gets the hook caught in the mesh. I've started just clipping the line with nail clippers right away, then release the fish and fight the hook. I fish with bent-down barbs too; still a hassle.

Yeah, I could see where the mesh makes the fish easier to handle. Hmmm.

---------- Post added at 07:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Chechem, I have a Blue Ribbon Net in the "catch and release" style, i.e. like the one JP showed on his back in his picture with a clear plastic bag. I've been thinking about selling it because I really want one of those ugly composite framed things like Ard has. Blue Ribbon are hand made in Bozeman, it's a good net, just a year old. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture and negotiate a price.
I checked out the photo of JP's net, but I don't think I want that shape. But thanks for the thoughtful offer.

I may buy the rubber mesh and use the frame I have now. I'll need to ponder this first. No more trips to the river for a month yet, so I have time.

wannafish

Reaction score
I have a similar story as posted above; I can watch a video of my net slowly drifting out of sight as my son let it go after netting my salmon :eek:
However it gave me excuse to buy a nicer C&R folding Frabill net which I'm sure the fish appreciate as well :)

chechem

Reaction score
I have a similar story as posted above; I can watch a video of my net slowly drifting out of sight as my son let it go after netting my salmon :eek:
However it gave me excuse to buy a nicer C&R folding Frabill net which I'm sure the fish appreciate as well :)
LOL. Maybe I'll just walk creek banks instead of buying a net. :D

rasputinj

Reaction score
My net is a beautiful work of art by Greg at Sierra Nets. He uses a lot of beautiful woods, hoops are strong with up to 7 layers on them. He is a great guy to deal with.

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
This is my Stephens handcrafted net that I use most. The picture if from their website. I chose the black rubber but they will do a ghost net for same price. Net is slightly deeper than appears in the photo.