The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 09:47 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold
Default Camel back plus chest pack

I know that Fishpond and a couple of others make a combo backpack/chest pack that all clip together in a neat package, but I am not wanting to spend $160 on a new set up.

Instead, I already have a camel back backpack and was wondering if anyone has also used a seperate chest pack at the same time.

Is it uncomfortable, cumbersome, etc...or does it work just fine? I guess my concern would be the multitude of straps. 2 from the camel back and another around my neck for the chest pack. Seems like it could get uncomfortable
Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Camel back plus chest pack

Not exactly an answer to your question but perhaps an experience you may find helpful. I'm a vest to pack convert so that may play into my opinion.

I owned a Fishpond combo pack and used the whole thing together for one trip. It clipped together and didn't require another strap around the neck, but I did not like having that pack right in my way at the center of my body. I used the backpack more than anything else until I parted ways with it. Great pack, it just wasn't for me. I prefer to have a pack that fits behind me or on the side of me these days. I use a waist pack and a sling pack. Have not worn them together, mostly because I haven't felt the need to use both at the same time. Though I can see myself doing just that on an upcoming trip. That way I can take off the sling, lay it on the bank and use the waist pack for the essentials.

Now I know that many people like chest packs but I'm not one of them. These pack options seem to have such a diverse opinion. People buy them figure out it's not for them and move along to something different, just as I did. I can tell you that I agree with your comment that what you're inquiring about would be too many straps for me to deal with. Sometimes I wonder if the vest wasn't the best way to go to start with LOL. I'm happy enough with my current setup though and certainly recommend that as a consideration.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:27 AM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for sharing. I do agree that I like to have my main pack behind my back. It's out of the way from casting and line hands and never interferes. It's easy to spin around to the front to get whatever I need and put it back in back when I am done.

The backpack does not afford this same ease of accessibility and wearing the two together is a nightmare. The problem is that I just need to the hydration. One a recent trip, it was hot as could be and my two bottles of water quickly ran out so I was forced to leech off of my buddies fishpond pack with the hydration reservoir to hold off that dehydration headache that was starting to show itself.

This is when I remembered that I already own a camelback from my mountain biking days. Unfortunately by itself, it just doesn't work for all of my needs.

I've never used a chest pack but I am hoping I can find a small one that can still hold a semi large box and some basic tools without being in the way. I'm also hoping that it isn't too many straps around my neck.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a hip pack? If so, why not use that instead of adding a chest pack? Pack the Camelback to hold your water and put it down when you're not on the move. If not have you considered one of those, then use both? Not trying to persuaded you away from something you prefer, just sharing experience. If you think you can make a chest pack work, go for it!

If you have a hip but don't have a bottle holder, you can get a caribiner with a ring to hold a bottle or one of these.

Amazon.com: Lowepro S&F Bottle Pouch: Camera & Photo Amazon.com: Lowepro S&F Bottle Pouch: Camera & Photo

I have one of these, and it works decent. Only problem is the bottle is freely hanging and a little bit of a pain. Not horrible though.

Amazon.com: Chums ClipBottleHolder (Assorted Colors): Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Chums ClipBottleHolder (Assorted Colors): Sports & Outdoors
Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM

Well that's sorta the thing...Im not stationary very long when I am fishing rivers which is what I fish most of the time.

I'll cast a few times and move down a bit...cast a few and move down...

I can cover 3 or 4 miles one way without even thinking about it so it's really inconvenient to my style of working a river to take the pack off, put it down, fish, then put it back on every time I move a bit.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:36 PM

Gotcha, that makes sense why you'd want to keep everything on your person since you're constantly on the move. We all fish a little differently depending on what we fish for and where we fish.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:11 PM

shotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to allshotgunfly is a name known to all

Fishpond, great stuff. I've bought/sold nearly 20 of their products and ended up keeping just one, the tundra tech pack, which is a mother load carrying backpack and chestpack setup.

I don't use it unless I make a hike into the GW forest carrying waders, boots and 2 rods.

That said my reg setup, and I love it, is the SIMMS half day pack (it's the size of a camel back with same water resevoir ability) and a chest/hip pack.

Yes you can attach the hip/chest pack to the front backpack straps with magnets (it really DOES work) OR snap it to the back of the backpack.

I usually do the later then get where I'm going and put the backpack down fish 20-30 ft of water then move on. But if you don't mind the pack hanging in front then it should work for you.

The hip/chest pack holds less than the Fishpond Waterdance but it's not far behind so wearing that in front hooked to the straps of the backpack just didn't make for (me) safe walking was hard to see my feet.

-- John Gierach

blog: http://www.thefinfeatherandfur.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thefinfeatherandfur
My TU:
http://massanuttentu.com