The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2013, 09:38 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Canoes

I love my Old Town 18 foot wooden Guide model that I purchased in 1977. A close second is my 17 foot Tripper. That thing is virtually indestructible.
wannafish likes this.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:41 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
Actually stable is my major requirement in a canoe! I couldn't bear to lose my precious fishing tackle in a flip. Not sure what a skag is?

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

There are some sleek vessels plying the Restigouche river that I admire and I think would be an excellent idea for future retirement plans. these canoes are usually 22 to 28 feet long and they draw very little water, even just a few inches is enough to make it up river over sand bars etc in low water. They can be pricy though 2 to 5 thousand dollars.

Click the image to open in full size.

My Father in law might be getting one of these canoes in a trade for one of his carvings. I suggested he do it to get his art work out there and so I can get access to a great canoe.

I am also getting my dad's Chestnut canoe this winter to restore, a deer stepped through it a couple of winters ago, and he will be building the wicker seats to pass the time.
wannafish likes this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 08-30-2013, 07:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Those are what we call 'Freighter's' I have considered getting one but have not done that yet.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

A Chestnut....That is sweet!

Dave
baseman1 likes this.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:20 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

My first canoe was an Old Town Discovery 174. Built like a tank, could carry an amazing amount of stuff, but it was heavy and handled like a brick. Now we have a Nova Craft 16' Prospector in Royalex Lite. Beautiful canoe--handles well, fast, can still hold a thousand pounds plus has those classic Prospector lines. My spouse and I took it on a three week paddling trip on the Thelon River and it performed as well as I could have asked. As a friend of mine said, Prospectors don't excel at anything but they do everything well.

Scott
Hardyreels and wannafish like this.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
My first canoe was an Old Town Discovery 174. Built like a tank, could carry an amazing amount of stuff, but it was heavy and handled like a brick. Now we have a Nova Craft 16' Prospector in Royalex Lite. Beautiful canoe--handles well, fast, can still hold a thousand pounds plus has those classic Prospector lines. My spouse and I took it on a three week paddling trip on the Thelon River and it performed as well as I could have asked. As a friend of mine said, Prospectors don't excel at anything but they do everything well.

Scott
Hi Scott,

That sounds like a wonderful 3 weeks, I'm envious of that. Did you take a bunch of pictures? If so how bout a thread with some of them posted.................

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-31-2013, 08:31 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Those are what we call 'Freighter's' I have considered getting one but have not done that yet.
Now that you mention it, I think I have heard them called that.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:13 PM

duker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really niceduker is just really nice

Ard, I never took any pictures but a couple of others on the trip who are much better photographers did take some that I've got on a disc somewhere. Once I figure out how to post I'll put some up.

It was a great trip. Two other couples had different canoes--a Mad River and a Nova Craft Tripper--neither of which had the rocker that our Prospector did. We paddled in some pretty stiff winds and waves on a couple of days, and our canoe was the only one that didn't ship any water. Even heavily loaded it paddled like a dream and easily handled what little white water we encountered.

I didn't do any fly fishing but did take a spinning rod. Caught some grayling and the biggest lake trout I've ever landed--easily 18 lbs+.

Scott
Old 08-31-2013, 01:36 PM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

My first was an Old Town 169, nice but not Royalex, My second was a Royalex Daggar, nice but I got sick of lugging an 75lb canoe around, I still have an Old Town second that I picked up for $125 tucked in the woods but its a beast to paddle in the wind. If I decide on a canoe its going to be a Scott, with a trailer.

Click the image to open in full size.

The only thing is I'll have to win the megabucks first, they are around 5 grand plus the motor, plus the trailer.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:14 AM

bear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of lightbear 007 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledavid123 View Post
I own a 17' Wenonah (waiting for plane or would post a pic) and for anyone thinking about buying a canoe their site will teach you a lot you didn't know about canoes. Want to go straight and fast, play in the rapids, single, tandem or family...They have boats designed fit for purpose. Think my canoe weighs 39lbs and is a breeze to portage.

Dave

Wow I didn't realize you could get a 40lb 16' canoe, I may have to rethink things, thanks for posting