The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Canoes (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/328961-canoes.html)

wannafish 08-22-2013 04:08 PM

Canoes

I hope nobody is getting tired of gear threads because here's another one; show us your canoe and maybe tell it's story or if you would recommend it to others. I'll start with my Oldtown Discovery 169. It is a blemished model so the bottom is a little wavy but it does what I want it to do; runs stretches of river for salmon and trout fishing easily handling rapids around class two. I also love the company history; I read a book recently about the Hubbard expedition through the Labrador interior and was pleased to read that Hubbard's canoe was an Old Town canvas covered 18' Guide canoe (1903) Almost as cool as Hardy :cool:

[IMG]http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...ps623c0b15.jpg[/IMG]

mridenour 08-22-2013 04:19 PM

Re: Canoes

Canoe tell us more?

Rip Tide 08-22-2013 04:29 PM

I have a 16.5' Lincoln fiberglass that was new in 1968.
The original rawhide seats are now lawn chair webbing and it has plenty of spiderweb cracks, but otherwise it's in good shape. I can fish standing up and it's a good boat for poling. It's a bit heavy at 78lbs so I don't portage it for miles like I would when I was a youngster, :rolleyes:, but it's been a good friend for a long time.

http://i1315.photobucket.com/albums/...pse2c3d3fc.jpg

wannafish 08-22-2013 08:33 PM

Rip that canoe owes you nothing! My Discovery weighs in at 100lbs with modern constuction so you're not missing anything there for sure. :clap:

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mridenour (Post 584423)
Canoe tell us more?

Yes I forgot to mention made in OLD TOWN, MAINE, USA!

innes 08-23-2013 04:15 AM

Well, no pictures because I'm way out of the office but, I use a Wenonah Heron 15 ft tandem. It's not the best rated canoe but it's very stable for casting, holds a lot of gear and can be flipped around for solo venturing. I use it in lakes and reservoirs in Quantico and have caught some decent fish in it. I'm researching anchors and possibly an add-on skag to improve tracking. If you got knowledge in those areas let me know. Thanks

wannafish 08-23-2013 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by innes (Post 584585)
Well, no pictures because I'm way out of the office but, I use a Wenonah Heron 15 ft tandem. It's not the best rated canoe but it's very stable for casting, holds a lot of gear and can be flipped around for solo venturing. I use it in lakes and reservoirs in Quantico and have caught some decent fish in it. I'm researching anchors and possibly an add-on skag to improve tracking. If you got knowledge in those areas let me know. Thanks

Actually stable is my major requirement in a canoe! I couldn't bear to lose my precious fishing tackle in a flip. Not sure what a skag is?

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 AM ----------

There are some sleek vessels plying the Restigouche river that I admire and I think would be an excellent idea for future retirement plans. these canoes are usually 22 to 28 feet long and they draw very little water, even just a few inches is enough to make it up river over sand bars etc in low water. They can be pricy though 2 to 5 thousand dollars.

http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...psd7b77892.jpg

Rip Tide 08-23-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wannafish (Post 584512)
Yes I forgot to mention made in OLD TOWN, MAINE, USA!

I don't know if it happen yet as they had asbestos issues, but they were suppose to take the old factory down this year.
I read on another forum that the building was loaded with unfinished canoes but none were worth the effort of "salvaging" :cool:

When I was 6 years old, my family went on a canoe adventure to Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario, taking the neighbor's old Old Town.
That canoe was so heavy with multiple layers of paint and canvas the we needed to have the Rambler station wagon's rear end replaced on the way home :eek:

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by innes (Post 584585)
and possibly an add-on skag to improve tracking. If you got knowledge in those areas let me know.

A fellow that I know, fly fishing author Ed Mitchel, used to row his drift boat in the ocean. In order to get it to track he would tie in end-to-end a homemade keel made from a garden hose with a rope strung through it.
With the keel on, it tracked like a dory. With it removed, he could still run rivers

innes 08-23-2013 07:51 AM

Yeah, I'm not sure if a skag is what it's called. I'm just investigating something make it track straighter in open water. Other than that it rows great.

Rip Tide 08-23-2013 08:00 AM

It's skeg actually
They make removable ones for surf boards so that you can switch out different ones to tailor your ride to the conditions
I don't think that they have such things for canoes though
Normally you'd get a canoe with a keel for open water, one without for river running.

littledavid123 08-23-2013 08:22 AM

I own a 17' Wenonah (waiting for plane or would post a pic) and for anyone thinking about buying a canoe their site will teach you a lot you didn't know about canoes. Want to go straight and fast, play in the rapids, single, tandem or family...They have boats designed fit for purpose. Think my canoe weighs 39lbs and is a breeze to portage.

Dave