The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2013, 10:00 PM

jimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura aboutjimp has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fish finder

Your basic entry level FF will show depth and "blips" aka arches or fish icons for fish. Most have options where you can change the view on how fish are displayed on the screen, either an "arch" or a fish icon and will show the bottom contour, smooth, stumps, drop offs, etc., Will also show how deep the fish are in relation to the bottom, such as fish icon/arch showing at 10' in 15 FOW, etc. This will give you the info you are looking for as to how deep/shallow are the fish suspending. The screen "scrolls" from right to left to show movement of the boat/vessel.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:34 AM

rockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to allrockriver is a name known to all
Default Re: Fish finder

I purchased the 550C, but gave some thought to the transducer mounting. Looking at a couple of dozen boats and seeing every configuration possible for mounting, I did a lot of research on mounting. It appears that most of the mountings are just throw it on. Since this thing cost some money, I wanted the best return possible. Taking every thing from prop turbulence to the bottom of the boat into my thoughts, I eventually decided to build a removable mount that clamped to the transom. By chance I came across a portable transducer mount in a Cabela's catalog. I bought it and it looks like it'll work just fine. I'll fine tune the location on the transom this fall. Now if only the weather would cooperate.