The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Fish finder (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/329025-fish-finder.html)

rockriver 08-23-2013 09:34 AM

Fish finder

To help narrow down my quest to start nailing walleyes on a fly rod, I'm going to buy a fish finder for my boat. Any info on a Garmin 550C as good or bad, etc.? Also, does anyone mount the transducer on the electric trolling motor and problems if I do? This is a totally new area for me, so any help is appreciated.

Hardyreels 08-23-2013 12:25 PM

Re: Fish finder

I am considering one for my boat, for use on the lake when pike fishing. I know nothing about them but would think there will be mounting instructions with the unit. Putting it on an electric motor somehow does not sound all that good to me.

We'll find out when we buy them I guess. Garmin should be fine but there are several very well established brands, Humming Bird comes to mind.........

mridenour 08-23-2013 01:31 PM

My transducer on my old Hummingbird was mounted on the trolling motor. Never had any problems at all with it.

Hardyreels 08-23-2013 01:35 PM

That settles that then. I have never owned either so I really didn't know, thanks Mike.

jimp 08-23-2013 08:47 PM

Mounting the transducer on the TM is done all the time on bass boats and such, without ill effects IF you mount it correctly, and power the FF from the cranking battery and NOT the battery used to power the trolling motor. BPS or Cabelas have the mounting bracket, and if you buy the FF new, it may include the bracket and worm clamp needed to mount it properly on the lower motor portion of the TM.

Check out youtube, and you'll find several vids on how to mount one. I've had a FF transducer mounted on my TM for years w/o issue, just don't power the FF with the same battery for the TM. May have to do a bit of fine tuning/adjustment on the transducer to get a good picture on the head unit, but actually its easier to do than learning how to use a fly rod imo. :D

mcnerney 08-23-2013 10:40 PM

Mine also had instructions for mounting on the trolling motor, but I opted to mount it similar to how Joni did hers with a piece of rectangular aluminum that straps to the NFO pontoon boat. That way I don't have to bring the trolling motor every time I want to use the fish finder. The rectangular arm is pretty easy to attach to the drift boat if I want to use that on stillwater.

littledavid123 08-24-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcnerney (Post 584890)
Mine also had instructions for mounting on the trolling motor, but I opted to mount it similar to how Joni did hers with a piece of rectangular aluminum that straps to the NFO pontoon boat. That way I don't have to bring the trolling motor every time I want to use the fish finder. The rectangular arm is pretty easy to attach to the drift boat if I want to use that on stillwater.

Curious here, has the fish finder really helped you catch more trout? Has it led you to fish areas that you would not have fished without it (and caught fish). Not a condemnation here, just curious to their effectiveness for trout fishing.

Dave

Hardyreels 08-24-2013 11:44 AM

Hi Dave,

I don't have one but know folks who do, in a large lake they help a lot in locating fish. What I would need would be a depth finder, if it also showed blips for fish that would be good.

jaybo41 08-24-2013 12:27 PM

Hey Ard, I thought YOU were the fish finder these days? :)

rockriver 08-24-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 585020)
Hi Dave,

I don't have one but know folks who do, in a large lake they help a lot in locating fish. What I would need would be a depth finder, if it also showed blips for fish that would be good.

The depth finder is my primary interest also.