The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By fyshstykr
  • 1 Post By flyfisher117

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 07:00 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117
Default Steelhead net

Anyone recommend a net for a bank fisherman?

Im getting into steelheading this year. I am not fly fishing (Yet) I am going to start out spin fishing, then Ill see where I end up after college and where my life goes.

For now I want some sort of landing net. Maybe its ok to beach the fish but I guess I would rather leave them in the water except for pictures. I have pondered tailing the fish but my fish handling skills are bad enough with little slippery trout, not sure I want to be chasing steelhead around like a cat chasing a laser pointer.

For the money what would be a good solid recomendation. Biggest bang for my buck? I figure I will be wearing waders just for the sake of staying warm and dry so I would consider a short handled net.

If at all possible think I could get one that would work equally well for steelies and tiger musky?
Old 09-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Steelhead net

Please do not beach Steelhead, after the journey they've taken they deserve dignity, respect, and an honorable release. The odds are stacked against them, so anything we can do to make their release a success is in their favor.

I'd suggest fishing with a partner and using soft mesh glove to assist in tailing them, and once you get the hang of it do it without the glove.

I'm so pumped for Fall Steelheading!
fredaevans and pa cope like this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysh View Post
Please do not beach Steelhead, after the journey they've taken they deserve dignity, respect, and an honorable release. The odds are stacked against them, so anything we can do to make their release a success is in their favor.

I'd suggest fishing with a partner and using soft mesh glove to assist in tailing them, and once you get the hang of it do it without the glove.

I'm so pumped for Fall Steelheading!
Thats how I feel, theyve done enough work, no use in me making things any harder for them than need be. Yea I still want to catch them and in all honesty a majority of my fishing will be C&R but I dont want to abuse them.

I was looking at those little mitt/glove things, I just wasnt sure how well they worked. I will be going with buddies as much as possible but I have a feeling most of my adventures will be solo. Seems everyone I know is to worried about drinking in their free time.
I dont think I have the courage to tail a musky but I can get a net this summer when I get ready to fish for them.

I cant wait to hit the water! Everyone calls me crazy for wanting to fall steelhead but heck fishin is fishin and the smaller fall steelies will be good practice just incase I hook something with size this spring.
rye_tyler likes this.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:38 PM

ejsell has a spectacular aura aboutejsell has a spectacular aura about

Try Mad River Outfitters. Fishing nets I bought the weigh net with rubber basket. I used a similar one borrowed from a friend last year and was pretty happy with it. At the store they told me it is guaranteed for life, just send it back to the manufacturer and they will replace the net. I also liked the wood handle steelhead net they sell. It was a toss up between the two for me.
Old 09-18-2013, 01:48 PM

brookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to beholdbrookfieldangler is a splendid one to behold

I'd definitely aim for a rubber net but don't have any specific recomendations. I can tell you to avoid the folding kinds if you are fishing in freezing conditions. It will work great for the first fish but will probably be frozen shut for the second. I learned that one the hard way.

My hand was cold for the rest of the day