The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2013, 10:57 PM

pjosh6 is on a distinguished road
Default Considering a Wading Jacket

I am considering buying a wading jacket for this upcoming fall and winter. Just curious as to what most people are using. I have always learned to layer my clothing and mostly still plan to do that if the conditions apply. I do have a few gortex military jackets or other water resistant jackets that I could wear out. I have looked at several online and like the looks of them along with the pockets and how the sleeves are set up to help keep water out. Any thoughts?
Old 09-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Considering a Wading Jacket

Hi Josh,

I have had a few over the years and currently am using a Simms G-3 jacket for rain conditions. The jacket has ample pocket space and neoprene cuff liners that chinch tight with Velcro straps. The cuffs will hold out water even if you reach into the river elbow deep to hold a fish. The hood is big enough to cover your head and a cap as well.

The jacket has served well now for 2 seasons. I have worn it for as many as 5 strait days of constant rain in a row and it keeps me dry through the worst that Alaska can send my way. I do have the ability to hang the jacket to dry the exterior each night before the next morning and another 12 hours of rain.

These are expensive but they work. I also have a Reddington 'Redstorm' Jacket that sold for $99 and it will keep you dry but I have not put it through the test like I have the Simms jacket. For all day rain and long days on the water choose the best you can afford to get.

I also have a Lewis Creek and a Filson both in wax finish cotton that I really like. These will keep you dry for a day but if it gets really ugly you will be a little damp at days end. They are warmer than the Simms or Reddington jackets but not as watertight.

Ard
fredaevans and mridenour like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-17-2013, 02:02 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Gortex rules. Only thing that 'rules better' are sleeve cuffs that really seal.
Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 AM

flyfishmich has a spectacular aura aboutflyfishmich has a spectacular aura about

I have a frogg toggs jacket. Under 100$ and made well. Big pockets for fly box. Also has hand Warner's a net loop on the back and a roll up hood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Old 09-17-2013, 07:22 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

I need to invest in the same. Last winter I fished all day in the rain and the jacket I wore had rain get in the neck area (blowing rain) and my shoulders and upper arms were soaked. My pockets that were open filled with water (my phone was in one of them...forgot to leave it in the truck...the end) and I was pretty much a shivering mess for the first hour back in the vehicle driving home.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:49 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Patagonia is what I use could not be happier , have owned Simms light weight Gortex jacket no good ,have returned one for warranty was given a new one same problem will not stay dry .
Old 09-17-2013, 08:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people like the LLBean Emerger jacket.
A hundred bucks, lifetime satisfaction guaranty.

Emerger II Wading Jacket: Fishing Jackets | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
A lot of people like the LLBean Emerger jacket.
A hundred bucks, lifetime satisfaction guaranty.

Emerger II Wading Jacket: Fishing Jackets | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean
That is a nice looking jacket. I am thinking about ordering that one.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:17 AM

rockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of lightrockriver is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure there are a lot of good waterproof jackets out there. I use the Cabela's MT050 rain jacket and it's bombproof. However, if your wearing chest waders, you have the extra length that you really don't need. I also wear it bowhunting and sometimes I think it must smell like fish no matter what I do. My next fishing jacket will be the Simm's G3 or G4.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:42 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use a Dan Bailey Yellowstone Guide Jacket and consider it as close to bomb-proof as they come. I was on the Railroad Ranch of the Henry's Fork this past July 4th and the rain, sleet and hail came down in buckets for over a half-hour, and I stayed nice and dry.

Here's my buddy, Tom, in his Frog Toggs jacket and stayed dry also:
Click the image to open in full size.

Kelly