The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 AM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold
Default Hand crafted wood flyboxes

Hey Guys. Ive got some interesting flyboxes that I build from raw woods. Its kind of a hobby that has gathered some momentum so I built a website. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Click the image to open in full size.

Joni, fyshstykr, mcnerney and 10 others like this.

Last edited by mcnerney; 09-19-2013 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Removed URL to web site as you are not a business member of the forum!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:06 AM

mridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud ofmridenour has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hand crafted wood flyboxes

Oh yeah! Those are beautiful. Another thing my wife will kill me for buying!
jbird likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Jay's one really serious fly-guy. Known him for God Only knows how many years at this point.

Hated when he'd come right behind me and hook a Steelhead. I'd have thrashed the Rogue to a froth without result .... his light touch and DANG IT!

mridenour, yonder and jbird like this.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:04 PM

jbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to beholdjbird is a splendid one to behold

These are custom orders
This was a custom order for a fellow in Austrailia. This thing is MASSIVE. He wanted a display box for his office.

A couple more stock boxes.

I LOVE working with exotics.

Heres the interior

Old 09-19-2013, 01:29 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Hand crafted wood flyboxes

Puppy Hunts Jay, Puppy HUNTS!

fae
Old 09-19-2013, 08:43 PM

Cigar boxes are my next project. I just finished the first prototypes today. These are just to carry a couple stogies along for the day, they arent humidors.
Two sizes. One for a pair of Double Coronas and one for a pair of Robustos. If I can generate enough interest with these, I will be adding them to my site.

baseman1 and finisher like this.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!
Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.
jbird likes this.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 09-19-2013, 08:57 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful fly boxes and the cigar boxes are killer, love the idea of the cigar box! Add some spanish cedar in there and you're in business! Your craftsmanship is superb!
jbird likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:38 PM

Thanks for the compliments guys! Wood working is a passion of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
Beautiful fly boxes and the cigar boxes are killer, love the idea of the cigar box! Add some spanish cedar in there and you're in business! Your craftsmanship is superb!
I definitely have been considering spanish cedar for obvious reasons. My only hesitation is, for it to fulfill its purpose, it must remain raw and untreated. The problem is if these boxes are used like they should be, they will be in rain soaked vests, sweaty pockets and all kind of intense moisture-heat, moisture-heat scenarios. This is very bad for the integrity of ANY untreated wood. Tho Spanish cedar can be quite beautiful so I may find some. I do have some beautiful Teak that is naturally about as weather resistant as any wood available.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:22 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point you raise on the way they could be used, I hadn't thought of that. On the other hand, some guys might like to leave them in an office or have them to take to an event. Hell for that matter, leave one sitting out on a table for an up coming roast. Maybe a loose piece of cedar inside to help temper the humidity? Thinking out loud here, but I'm far from a wood worker

I really like your stuff, it's truly beautiful!
mcnerney, Liphookedau and jbird like this.