The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Other Gear (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/)
-   -   Anyone know the changes for Simms G3? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/other-gear/332469-anyone-know-changes-simms-g3.html)

stlskyline 09-24-2013 07:01 PM

Anyone know the changes for Simms G3?

I was looking into purchasing a pair of the Simms G3 2013 waders at a good discount. The reason for the discount stated that there were changes to the 2014 models. Anyone know what the changes are? I looked at the Simms website and did not see an explanation. I would assume layering/ thickness. I would assume if I emailed/called Simms they'd tell me. Also if anyone knows a good sale please pm or give a shoutout to the shop.

rockriver 09-26-2013 09:39 AM

Re: Anyone know the changes for Simms G3?

The front pocket will be internal, and the GoreTex will be the newer version that is 25% more breathable than the current model. A couple of little changes also.
I'd wait for the new ones if I was looking.

stlskyline 09-26-2013 11:31 AM

Thank Rock,
Affer doing more research, I did find some more info; first update since 2008. The only thing that concerns me is that there will be more 5 layer gortex. I understand more breatbabity, but does it mean warmer? I've seen some reviews that say the g4 are warmer and being in Missouri it gets warm in the summer. I don't wet wade because of poison ivy and my reaction to it. The other features don't seem to interest me as much as a $150 savings. Is the 5 layer that much of improvement?

wannafish 09-26-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlskyline (Post 595748)
Thank Rock,
Affer doing more research, I did find some more info; first update since 2008. The only thing that concerns me is that there will be more 5 layer gortex. I understand more breatbabity, but does it mean warmer? I've seen some reviews that say the g4 are warmer and being in Missouri it gets warm in the summer. I don't wet wade because of poison ivy and my reaction to it. The other features don't seem to interest me as much as a $150 savings. Is the 5 layer that much of improvement?

I'd be happy with the older version if I could save that much $ as well. Most I've seen are still $450.0 though?

Hardyreels 09-26-2013 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlskyline (Post 595748)
The other features don't seem to interest me as much as a $150 savings. Is the 5 layer that much of improvement?

Buy them.

I have been beating a pair for 3 years and am quite satisfied.

Ard

jpbfly 09-26-2013 02:33 PM

Buy them!!!!they're the best waders I've ever had:thumbsup:

jaybo41 09-26-2013 02:42 PM

Buy them if you have the funds to do so and don't give it a second thought Of any wader I've ever used, the current model that is being changed are the most perfectly and thoughtfully designed waders I've ever used. I've used multiple Orvis and Bean brands, all which I've been happy with but none compare to the G3 in terms of the thoughtfulness of the design.

comeonavs 09-26-2013 09:21 PM

I bought the G4Z on closeout and quite frankly the only complaint I have is the zipper is higher than it should be. If I drink way to much coffee and "need to unzip" I unzip the waders, unzip pants/shorts and relieve myself. Due the higher positioning of the zipper .....watch out for re-entry......bring some band-aids.

Seriously though I absolute love these waders (injuries aside) I can't imagine anything else being hundreds of dollars better.

Tell Sackett 09-30-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockriver (Post 595724)
The front pocket will be internal, and the GoreTex will be the newer version that is 25% more breathable than the current model. A couple of little changes also.
I'd wait for the new ones if I was looking.

Interesting I called Sims yesterday to ask the same question and they said they were making a few minor changes to the hand warmer and pocket and tippet holder (I think that is what she said) but no material changes or actual wader changes whatsoever. She said buy older models with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

rockriver 10-01-2013 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tell Sackett (Post 597265)
Interesting I called Sims yesterday to ask the same question and they said they were making a few minor changes to the hand warmer and pocket and tippet holder (I think that is what she said) but no material changes or actual wader changes whatsoever. She said buy older models with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I got my information from a phone call to Simms also. The man I talked to was reading the release he said on the new models.