The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Other Gear

Other Gear All other fly fishing gear including tools, gadgets, clothing, float tubes, pontoons and other boats.

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2013, 07:01 PM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough
Default Anyone know the changes for Simms G3?

I was looking into purchasing a pair of the Simms G3 2013 waders at a good discount. The reason for the discount stated that there were changes to the 2014 models. Anyone know what the changes are? I looked at the Simms website and did not see an explanation. I would assume layering/ thickness. I would assume if I emailed/called Simms they'd tell me. Also if anyone knows a good sale please pm or give a shoutout to the shop.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:39 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone know the changes for Simms G3?

The front pocket will be internal, and the GoreTex will be the newer version that is 25% more breathable than the current model. A couple of little changes also.
I'd wait for the new ones if I was looking.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:31 AM

stlskyline will become famous soon enough

Thank Rock,
Affer doing more research, I did find some more info; first update since 2008. The only thing that concerns me is that there will be more 5 layer gortex. I understand more breatbabity, but does it mean warmer? I've seen some reviews that say the g4 are warmer and being in Missouri it gets warm in the summer. I don't wet wade because of poison ivy and my reaction to it. The other features don't seem to interest me as much as a $150 savings. Is the 5 layer that much of improvement?
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:37 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlskyline View Post
Thank Rock,
Affer doing more research, I did find some more info; first update since 2008. The only thing that concerns me is that there will be more 5 layer gortex. I understand more breatbabity, but does it mean warmer? I've seen some reviews that say the g4 are warmer and being in Missouri it gets warm in the summer. I don't wet wade because of poison ivy and my reaction to it. The other features don't seem to interest me as much as a $150 savings. Is the 5 layer that much of improvement?
I'd be happy with the older version if I could save that much $ as well. Most I've seen are still $450.0 though?
mridenour likes this.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlskyline View Post
The other features don't seem to interest me as much as a $150 savings. Is the 5 layer that much of improvement?
Buy them.

I have been beating a pair for 3 years and am quite satisfied.

Ard
mridenour likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Buy them!!!!they're the best waders I've ever had
Old 09-26-2013, 02:42 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Buy them if you have the funds to do so and don't give it a second thought Of any wader I've ever used, the current model that is being changed are the most perfectly and thoughtfully designed waders I've ever used. I've used multiple Orvis and Bean brands, all which I've been happy with but none compare to the G3 in terms of the thoughtfulness of the design.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 PM

comeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud ofcomeonavs has much to be proud of

I bought the G4Z on closeout and quite frankly the only complaint I have is the zipper is higher than it should be. If I drink way to much coffee and "need to unzip" I unzip the waders, unzip pants/shorts and relieve myself. Due the higher positioning of the zipper .....watch out for re-entry......bring some band-aids.

Seriously though I absolute love these waders (injuries aside) I can't imagine anything else being hundreds of dollars better.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:18 PM

Tell Sackett is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
The front pocket will be internal, and the GoreTex will be the newer version that is 25% more breathable than the current model. A couple of little changes also.
I'd wait for the new ones if I was looking.
Interesting I called Sims yesterday to ask the same question and they said they were making a few minor changes to the hand warmer and pocket and tippet holder (I think that is what she said) but no material changes or actual wader changes whatsoever. She said buy older models with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:10 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tell Sackett View Post
Interesting I called Sims yesterday to ask the same question and they said they were making a few minor changes to the hand warmer and pocket and tippet holder (I think that is what she said) but no material changes or actual wader changes whatsoever. She said buy older models with confidence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I got my information from a phone call to Simms also. The man I talked to was reading the release he said on the new models.
Tell Sackett likes this.